[comp.windows.x] NeWS or X - which to choose?

dingler@hc.DSPO.GOV (Robert Dingler) (03/23/88)

My group needs to make a choice between X and NeWS.
Does anyone care to express their opinions about each
window system to help us make the right decision?

Thanks in advance,

	John Sutton
	Los Alamos Nat'l Lab

	Direct replies can be made to:
	  sutton@olin.lanl.gov

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (03/23/88)

In article <14208@hc.DSPO.GOV> dingler@hc.DSPO.GOV (Robert Dingler) writes:
>My group needs to make a choice between X and NeWS.
>Does anyone care to express their opinions about each
>window system to help us make the right decision?
>	John Sutton (sutton@olin.lanl.gov)
>	Los Alamos Nat'l Lab

On my desk is a paper entitled "Using the NeWS Window System in a Cray
Environment" by R. L. Phillips and D. W. Forslund at LANL.  It seems
to be more of a sponsor-sales sort of thing ("look what we did with
your money!") rather than presenting the results of any new research.

Still, the paper indicates to me that NeWS is pretty well accepted in
the LANL environment.  You might consider NeWS as the window system of
choice if only for interoperability with the other work that's going
on there.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bob

bob@kazoo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (03/25/88)

Mr. Phillips,
	My sincere apologies for any offense caused by my note on
Xpert and NeWS-makers regarding the paper you wrote for your Cray User
Group meeting.  Nothing derogatory was intended by my remarks.
	I have written similar papers for both "sponsor sales" and
user groups, and recognize that the level of detail chosen must be (as
ever) appropriate for the purpose and audience.  I didn't expect that
my remarks would constitute a review of your work; rather more to
protect you from a barrage of requests from people expecting a
different level of presentation.  For the purpose and at the level
intended, the paper was very informative.
	Frankly, the largest intent behind my posting was to persuade
the author of the posting to which I responded (and authors of other
similar postings) to check around with the local folks, which it
seemed he hadn't done yet.  For a user asking the questions he was
asking, the level of your paper would be appropriate as well.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bob

dingler@hc.DSPO.GOV (Robert Dingler) (04/16/88)

About a month ago I posted a request for opinions about which window system
to use, X or NeWS. My group uses both UNIX (SUNs) and VMS for development and
needs a common window system that is available on both these systems. Both
X and NeWS will be available on these systems in the near future. (Someone,
and they have requested that I not say who just yet, is porting NeWS to VMS.)
My request was just the beginning of a process to evaluate and select a window
system.

Below you will find a summary of the responses I got from my March 22 posting
of "NeWS or X - which to choose?". I thank all of those who took the time to
respond to my request. The informations has helped us get started on our
evaluation process. Clearly, to make a correct choice one must evaluate both
systems and judge which is best based on their own unique requirements.
This we are doing now. If anyone would like to see the complete text of all
the responses please mail your requests to my address below.

	John Sutton		(sutton@olin.lanl.gov)
	Los Alamos Nat'l Lab	(505) 667-3623
	P.O. Box 1663
	MS H820
	Los Alamos, NM 87545

"Symbolic representation of quantitative entities is doomed
         to its rightful place of minor importance
   in a world where flowers and beautiful women abound."

This document contains a summary of information obtained from USENET articles
about the NeWS and X window systems and responses to my request to USENET
readers for opinions about X and NeWS. The comments summarized here are
condensation of the opinions of the authors of the USENET articles. I make no
claim as to the correctness of their opinions.

The following is simply a tally of the preferences stated in the USENET
articles comparing X and NeWS. This is raw data and does not take into account
how the case was stated.

        Pro X        Pro NeWS        Undecided        Info Only
          5             11              3                3

This section shows the tally of preferences from those who seemed or were known
to have experience with both window systems and were providing more than just a
"gut feeling" about which window system they preferred.

        Pro X        Pro NeWS        Undecided
          2              4              1

What did they say?
This section is a summary of what people are saying about
the two window systems. In a few places I have inserted my own comments, these
will be found in the square brackets []. Note that the number of statement
roughly reflects the preferences listed above.

Pro X
*   X has the lead in the market place
*   Toolkit lives with client
*   X is in the public domain
*   Application will be more portable to other machines
*   Wider range of platforms to run on
*   X is superior in performance
*   X will prevail in the short term (1-3 years)
*   Fits with existing technology, easy to port,
    could get very high performance

Pro NeWS
*   Easier to program with NeWS, including shorter codes, lower levels of
    frustration, and interactive/object oriented development environment
*   NeWS can do non-rectangular windows
*   Better use of communication bandwidth
*   Toolkit lives with server [a changed widget - changes for all clients]
*   NeWS is more hardware independent (arbitrary spatial and color resolution)
*   NeWS is technologically superior
*   NeWS will soon be part of AT&T's System V for all the world to have
    (hence in the public domain)
*   NeWS is more powerful
*   Can dynamically download application into server
    (but this is only occasionally useful)
*   NeWS is more widely use at LANL
*   NeWS is a better technical solution
*   NeWS requires only one font file for each font regardless of size
    and orientation
*   NeWS is very easy to port
*   NeWS has a very clean "virtual event" mechanism
*   NeWS will supersede X in the long term due to its more abstract device
    with higher functionality and arbitrarily high spatial and color
    resolution, its "future-proof"
*   NeWS allows you to lay down site rules for scroll bars, windows, icons,
    cursors, etc. without having to bow to the design decisions taken about
    the server
*   NeWS is not slow

General
*   The best thing to do is to pick a high level toolkit and ignore what
    window system is used, counting on it being ported to new window
    systems as they come along
*   X is C based and NeWS is Postscript based
    [note: NeWS has a C toolkit layer]
*   Each has a few unique characteristics outside the vast majority of
    qualities they have in common
*   Performance is not an issue ... performance can be distributed to the
    best place
*   X is pixel based, NeWS is stencil/paint based
*   X provides a procedural interface, NeWS provides a programming interface

It is my general impression that the major points that were being made in the
articles summarized above are:
*   X is currently more widely accepted than NeWS and will probably be the
    standard at least in the short term
*   NeWS is technically superior to X but current implementations display
    poor performance, however, NeWS is expected to become more popular in
    the long term.
*   The major differences between the two window systems are: (1) where the
    division between client and server is made (client does most window
    management in X where as NeWS relegates most windowing tasks to the server)
    (2) the degree of device independence (NeWS using a more abstract device)
    and (3) X provides a protocol interface to the server and NeWS provides
    an object oriented programming language interface to the server allowing
    dynamic loading of server functions.

davidh@dent.Berkeley.EDU (David S. Harrison) (04/16/88)

Last time I saw a message similar to this I posed a few questions
to the comp.windows.news group about operations I feel are essential
for engineering graphics that don't seem to be possible in NeWS.
I have received no responses or feedback.  Once again,  I would

1.  Raster operations other than copy or xor.
2.  Color map modifications to directly specify a color.
3.  Plane management (masks) for independent control
    of multiple planes.
4.  Stipple fill of rectangular and non-rectangular regions
    on *color* devices (this is NOT the same as tiling with
    an or operation).  The stipple must be interlocked (relative
    to a known point regardless of the location of the
    stippled object).

I have written an editor for Computer-Aided Design of Integrated
Circuits under X10 which uses *ALL* of these features.  Furthermore,
most CAD of IC graphics editors I know of require most if not
all of these features.  As far as I can tell,  these editors
cannot run on top of NeWS.

			David Harrison
			UC Berkeley Electronics Research Lab
			(davidh@ic.Berkeley.EDU, ...!ucbvax!ucbcad!davidh)