[comp.windows.x] Cut and Paste in X?

berger@datacube.UUCP (04/05/88)

Does X support a mechanism to cut and paste complex "object oriented"
graphics and formated text between applications?  Would you be able to
continue to manipulate the object in an "object oriented" way once its
been pasted into another application? Does the X world need something
like the Mac's PICT format?

				Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:	berger@datacube.COM,  rutgers!datacube!berger, ihnp4!datacube!berger
	{cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

paul@torch.UUCP (Paul Andrews) (04/12/88)

In article <118500001@datacube> berger@datacube.UUCP writes:

>Does X support a mechanism to cut and paste complex "object oriented"...

Cut and paste in general in X11R2 is of interest to me also...

- Paul

diamant@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (04/18/88)

> Does X support a mechanism to cut and paste complex "object oriented"
> graphics and formated text between applications?  Would you be able to
> continue to manipulate the object in an "object oriented" way once its
> been pasted into another application? Does the X world need something
> like the Mac's PICT format?

The specifics of an individual format haven't been defined, but the
necessary building blocks are there.  Look at the X selection mechnanism.
Look at XSetSelectionOwner, XConvertSelection, etc.  Also, look at the
Inter-Client Communication Conventions Manual (DRAFT).  The basic
mechanism for typed selections with complicated structures is defined,
but the specific structures are not (though some suggested ones are
included in the manual I mentioned).  This mechanism could be used
to construct what you're asking for.

John Diamant
Software Development Environments
Hewlett-Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		UUCP:  {hplabs,hpfcla}!hpfclp!diamant