[comp.windows.x] Help needed building InterViews

bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) (04/23/88)

Can anyone tell me how to build InterViews?

As released on the X11R2 tape, InterViews lives in directory
	/usr/src/X.V11R2/contrib/Interviews
but seems unwilling to build there due to strange relative
path names like ../../../lib/SUN3.X11/libInterViews.a.

Can anyone give me a clue where to put things so they'll build
correctly?  (As you can tell from the above, we're on a Sun 3
running X11R2.  It's SunOS 3.4.)

(I've tried messaging Mark Linton, but have had no reply.)

Thanks,
--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@acornrc.uucp

milliken@bbn.com (Walter Milliken) (04/23/88)

In article <726@acornrc.UUCP>, bob@acornrc (Bob Weissman) writes:
>As released on the X11R2 tape, InterViews lives in directory
>	/usr/src/X.V11R2/contrib/Interviews
>but seems unwilling to build there due to strange relative
>path names like ../../../lib/SUN3.X11/libInterViews.a.
>
>Can anyone give me a clue where to put things so they'll build
>correctly?  (As you can tell from the above, we're on a Sun 3
>running X11R2.  It's SunOS 3.4.)

I managed to build it OK on the same configuration, but I FTP'ed it
from Stanford (supposedly the same version).  It may be trying to
build things out of order -- I noticed some strangeness along those
lines.  The version I took from Stanford already had binaries
installed in the right place in the hierarchy.  Those relative
pathnames should be fine, though.

All the problems I had were related to trying to use the OASYS version
of C++ to build it.  And those turned out to be mostly very minor
things, like having to rename the files from .c to .cxx, and changing
some of the include statements.

>Bob Weissman
>Internet:	bob@acornrc.uucp
>UUCP:		...!{ ames | decwrl | oliveb | apple }!acornrc!bob
>Arpanet:	bob%acornrc.uucp@ames.arc.nasa.gov

---Walter