RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (04/22/88)

    Date: Thu, 21 Apr 88 15:23:02 PDT
    From: warner%s3snorkel@scubed.arpa (Ken Warner)

    When using the copy buffers in an xterm window, if I select--with the left
    button--some text paste it into another window, I get an interesting staircase
    effect.

I cannot reproduce this, either on a Sun or an Apollo xterm/vi combination,
using the text you indicated.

guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) (04/23/88)

>When using the copy buffers in an xterm window, if I select--with the left
>button--some text paste it into another window, I get an interesting staircase
>effect.

You probably pasted indented text in VI with autoindent mode on.

paul@vixie.UUCP (Paul Vixie Esq) (04/23/88)

# From: warner%s3snorkel@scubed.arpa (Ken Warner)
#
# When using the copy buffers in an xterm window, if I select--with the left
# button--some text paste it into another window, I get an interesting
# staircase effect.

I saw this happen to a guy who pasted into an xterm running vi with line
numbers.  It doesn't exactly click for me why line numbers in the destination
would be a problem ... perhaps there were line numbers in the source as well.
Sorry this is nonspecific -- it's late.  If you have line numbers showing,
turn them off and see if your staircase disappears.

On a different subject, I'd like to comment on:

# RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) writes:
#
# I cannot reproduce this, either on a Sun or an Apollo xterm/vi combination,
# using the text you indicated.

The folks of MIT Athena are trying to tell us all something by this response.
They included a very well-considered bug report form in the distribution, and
they have mentioned in each and every release note that it exists and should
be used for submitting bugs.  If we would all submit bug reports in that
format, telling the Athena folks what computer/os/Xrelease/patches we are
trying to use, explaining the exact steps which will reproduce the bug,
then they will have a much better chance of finding and fixing your problem.

If you submit a message to the list/group saying "my screen is blank, can
you help me?" then the Athenites are likely to look at their own screens,
see that they are not blank, and reply that they cannot duplicate your
problem.  This is reasonable.

Bugs reported to the xbugs address are slow movers, we've all noticed.  This
is probably because things that get submitted there are complete enough and
point out problems real enough to take a lot of time to handle.  We'd all like
X releases to come banging out quickly, fixing all of our pet bugs -- and no
doubt the Athenites would like this too.  I can't see a better way to do this
than to submit bug reports in the form they've suggested.
--
Paul A Vixie
paul%vixie@uunet.uu.net

eirik@tekcrl.TEK.COM (Eirik Fuller) (04/23/88)

In article <880422090519.6.RWS@KILLINGTON.LCS.MIT.EDU> RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) writes:

|    Date: Thu, 21 Apr 88 15:23:02 PDT
|    From: warner%s3snorkel@scubed.arpa (Ken Warner)
|
|    When using the copy buffers in an xterm window, if I select--with the left
|    button--some text paste it into another window, I get an interesting staircase
|    effect.
|
|I cannot reproduce this, either on a Sun or an Apollo xterm/vi combination,
|using the text you indicated.

I may be missing something here, but the closest thing I've seen to a
staircase effect is pasting multiple indented lines into a vi window
with autoindent set.

Please excuse me if I missed the boat entirely; I didn't see the
original posting.

Perhaps there is a creative way to remap line-feeds in insert mode to
deal with auto-indent (assuming that most people use carriage return
for new lines, and that xterm sends line feeds for line boundaries).
If so, I haven't found it.  I'd guess something like '^M^[0i' would
do it, where the ^ notation means control characters.  Mostly what I
haven't found is a way to map line feeds into anything.  It'd be nice
if vi had a mode where CRs autoindented and LFs didn't; maybe it does
and I just don't know it.  Such behavior might be worth hacking into
vi, to deal with window copy buffers and autoindent.

OK, I'll be quiet now :-)