[comp.windows.x] References on X-Windows

ekberg@home.csc.ti.COM (Tom Ekberg) (04/27/88)

>In article <5623@sigi.Colorado.EDU> furtney@boulder.Colorado.EDU (David Furtney) writes:
>I am looking for some introductory papers or articles on
>windows systems and on X-windows in particular.  The
>defining document for X and an overview would be very
>useful.  Where can I find this stuff?

Ok, I'll bite.  There are 3 articles in "Mini-Micro Systems" which touch
briefly on the X Window System.

	"Xcellence in windows: advantages of a standard", Irene McCartney,
	Digital Equipment Corp.  July 1987, pages 139-141.

	"X Window eases stress of parent-child relationships", Irene McCartney,
	Digital Equipment Corp.  August 1987, pages 115-117.

	"X Window standard wins support, not products", Tim Scannell, Senior
	Editor.  February 1988, pages 29-30.

I know there are other articles, but I don't have the references handy.

  -- tom (aisle C-4L), ekberg@csc.ti.com

bin@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (04/29/88)

	R. W. Scheifler, J. Gettys, ``The X Window System,''
	ACM Trans. Graphics, vol. 5, no. 2, Apr. 1986, pp. 79-109

This describes version 10, but is still very useful and worthwhile reading.

cvm@kaiser.UUCP (C Malley) (05/04/88)

Scheifler, R.W., and Gettys, J., "The X Window System",
	ACM Trans. on Graphics, Vol 5 No 2, April 1986, p.79-109.

enjoy.

C. Malley
ihnp4!kaiser!cvm