[comp.windows.x] Best X quote yet!

grogers@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (05/13/88)

I just sat through a very interesting talk by Andries van Dam titled
"Graphics Supercomputer Workstations, Phigs+ and Beyond."  Anyway, he had
one really good line that I thought all X'ers should hear.

	"X is a temporary standard, like FORTRAN."
		Andries van Dam
		5-12-88

bob@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (05/16/88)

"X is just RasterOp on wheels."
	--Bill Joy
	  1-9-87
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277

jeff@polyslo.UUCP (Skippy The Wonder Hacker) (05/16/88)

In article <13360@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>"X is just RasterOp on wheels."
>	--Bill Joy
>	  1-9-87

	I have a shirt that has this printed on it, along with a little
	red car.  I got it at the X11 implementors picnic this past fall
	after the first release of X11.  I think one of the DEC people
	had the shirts made...

		Jeff Weinstein
		Computer Systems Lab
		Cal Poly State Univ.
		ucbvax!voder!polyslo!jeff
		jeff@polyslo.uucp

haynes@WSL.DEC.COM (05/17/88)

The "little red car" is a Porsche...

	... guess what kind of car Bill Joy drives?

	-- Charles

wohler@spam.istc.sri.com (Bill Wohler) (05/17/88)

In article <8805162023.AA05609@gilroy.dec.com> haynes@WSL.DEC.COM writes:
>The "little red car" is a Porsche...
>
>	... guess what kind of car Bill Joy drives?
>
>	-- Charles

  whoops, news nuked the previous postings so i don't have any
  context... but i do believe it was bill joy's red ferrari that was
  parked in one of sun's ponds a year ago april 1.

  whoops, this is comp.windows.x.  has anyone simulated backing stores
  in X10?  if so, i'd sure like to hear about your experiences.

						--bw

ps to terry weismann: is the gang still playing ultimate?