[comp.windows.x] X and gnuemacs

dl23+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Damon Wayne Lipparelli) (05/17/88)

Hello.  I am using gnuemacs (version 18.50.2) through X11R2.  Whenever I start
up a gnuemacs process, the window comes up ok, but it's size is 80x25.  My
question is: How do I specify a size for the window that emacs comes up in?  I
would like something along the lines of 80x40 or so.  I've tried putting
'-geometry' flags in the command line, but this just opens up two buffers in
emacs (one for '-geometry' and one for the size specification I gave).  Any
ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Damon

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (05/18/88)

>Hello.  I am using gnuemacs (version 18.50.2) through X11R2.  Whenever I start
>up a gnuemacs process, the window comes up ok, but it's size is 80x25.  My
>question is: How do I specify a size for the window that emacs comes up in?  I
>would like something along the lines of 80x40 or so.  I've tried putting
>'-geometry' flags in the command line, but this just opens up two buffers in
>emacs (one for '-geometry' and one for the size specification I gave).  Any
>ideas?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Damon

Would you settle for putting:

Xemacs.Geometry:	80x40

into your .Xdefaults file? (Xemacs might be just emacs, whatever you
call it.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (05/19/88)

In article <sWY70ay00Vg6I9L0gx@andrew.cmu.edu> dl23+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Damon Wayne Lipparelli) writes:
>How do I specify a size for the window that emacs comes up in?

There's a line in my .X11init that looks like:

emacs -i -w =80x63+300+-4 &

Which has the desired effect: location and size are like I want them.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!att!osu-cis!bob

mcgrath@tully.Berkeley.EDU.berkeley.edu (Roland McGrath) (05/21/88)

There is no command line switch to specify X geometry.  Maybe I'll add one.

However, you can make the window whatever size you want by using the
middle mouse button when making the window.  The little box in the corner
saying `GNU Emacs' will tell you how big it's getting.

turner@daisy.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (05/23/88)

Here's a slightly more difficult one for you, I read my mail using:

rmail emacs -l rmail -f rmail

from a menu item ( -e option of xterm). Is there any way to:

1) make the iconified name 'rmail' rather than 'emacs @ snotty'

2) set the .Xdefaults for emacs when running rmail only

--
Don't you think that Mahitabel is a bit too toujour gay? - Archie
...{decwrl|ucbvax}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner (James M. Turner)

dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) (05/23/88)

In article <sWY70ay00Vg6I9L0gx@andrew.cmu.edu> dl23+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU.UUCP writes:

>   Hello.  I am using gnuemacs (version 18.50.2) through X11R2.  Whenever I start
>   up a gnuemacs process, the window comes up ok, but it's size is 80x25.  My
>   question is: How do I specify a size for the window that emacs comes up in?  I
>   would like something along the lines of 80x40 or so.  I've tried putting
>   '-geometry' flags in the command line, but this just opens up two buffers in
>   emacs (one for '-geometry' and one for the size specification I gave).  Any
>   ideas?
>
>   Thanks in advance,
>   Damon

The command line argument is -w instead of -geometry.  This has been
fixed in 18.51.  Maybe one day the gnuemacs man page will be updated
to reflect all of the window changes.

--
			Dana Chee
			Bellcore