[comp.windows.x] Sun X11 Server...

shawna@SUN.COM (Shawna Phillips -- Window Systems Marketing) (05/26/88)

Regarding your questions about X11R2:

	   Is there anyone on this newsgroup who knows why the server is so slow
	and would be willing to tell me?   I'm tired enough of the problem to be
	willing to spend a significant amount of time solving it, but I'd rather
	not spend a lot of time figuring out something that someone already knows.
	Which part of the code should I work on?   Why is is slow?   If you know
	the answers to these questions, please forward them to me.

The general reason this port is slow is that it is a reference port to the
Sun placed in the public domain, and as such you can only be assured that
it runs on the Sun, not that it is tuned for the Sun. This is true of all
the reference ports available on various hardware platforms.

	   I realize that Sun is going to be merging X11 and NeWS.   This is of
	limited interest to me until I see product which is acceptably fast.
	I'm not holding my breath.   Any help on this matter would be greatly
	appreciated.   Thanx!

Sun's merged X11/NeWS window system includes a tuned version of X11R2 that will
have very good performance.  The merged system will have performance commensurate
with that of the current product, SunView/SunWindows.

					_MelloN_

Shawna

bph_cwjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (William J. Bogstad) (05/28/88)

In article <8805260145.AA00182@makani.swpmktg.sun.com> shawna@SUN.COM
 (Shawna Phillips -- Window Systems Marketing) writes:
>Sun's merged X11/NeWS window system includes a tuned version of X11R2 that will
>have very good performance.  The merged system will have performance commensurate
>with that of the current product, SunView/SunWindows.

	This is all well and good, but a little bird at SUN told me that
he didn't expect it to ship until October.  Care to comment on this?

				Bill Bogstad
--
Bill Bogstad				bogstad@cs.jhu.edu
Work: (301)338-8019			bill@green.bph.jhu.edu