[comp.windows.x] Xerver bug

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (05/20/88)

Ever since I installed X11 on my sun3-110, I've had this symptom:
The screen "blinks" (goes black and then returns immediately) and
an error message appears in my console window:

waitforsomething(), errno=22

I get about 5 or 6 of them and then it goes away.  Normally, this
doesn't bother me, but the last time it happened, the screen remained
blank and I couldn't do anything.  I logged in from a remote machine
and did all the appropriate ps's and pstats and so on looking for
something unusual, but I couldn't find anything.  I tried to run
some commands (such as xrefresh), but nothing happened.  I had even
run a couple programs which access the brame buffer directly with no
avail.  Curious as to how badly the hardware was munged, I did the
ever-useful L1-A sequence on the console (with the intent to enter
"c" should it have worked), but that didn't even take.  I didn't
even lose my connection from the remote host.  Nothing was happening...

so, I started to play with signals... I sent sigcont, sighup and finally
sigterm to the server, but nothing happened.  Finally, I sent the KILL
signal and my system crashed.  Suggestions as to what {sh,c}ould I have done?

			...dan

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (05/21/88)

/* I posted this once, but it didn't seem to make it */

Ever since I installed X11 on my sun3-110, I've had this symptom:
The screen "blinks" (goes black and then returns immediately) and
an error message appears in my console window:

waitforsomething(), errno=22

Normally, I get about 5 or 6 of them and then it goes away.  This

Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

mtr@eagle.ukc.ac.uk (M.T.Russell) (05/23/88)

In article <3577@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) writes:
>Ever since I installed X11 on my sun3-110, I've had this symptom:
>The screen "blinks" (goes black and then returns immediately) and
>an error message appears in my console window:
>
>waitforsomething(), errno=22

I just got the same thing on a monochrome Sun 3/160 running SunOS
3.5EXPORT (the version of SunOS 3.5 that gets distributed outside
the USA).  I think it's a 3.5 problem as it never happened under 3.4.

Mark Russell
mtr@ukc.ac.uk

turner@daisy.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (05/23/88)

You didn't say (or I missed it) what OS you were using.. We got this problem
all the time under SunOS BL6 for the Sun386i. Sun said that it had to do
with a zero length select being issued by the OS every so often. It will
crash the system as you say, anyway the net of it is that it went away in
the next release of the OS. If you need more details I can bug Sun for
the exact bug fix...

--
Don't you think that Mahitabel is a bit too toujour gay? - Archie
...{decwrl|ucbvax}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner (James M. Turner)

bhoward@SOL.ENGIN.UMICH.EDU (05/23/88)

	From cory.berkeley.edu!dheller Sat May 21 04:05:17 1988
	Sender: xpert-request@athena.mit.edu
	To: xpert@athena.mit.edu
	Date: 21 May 88 03:26:41 GMT
	Subject: Xerver bug (Waitforsomething(): errno=22)

[...]

I have seen the same bug.  At first, I thought it was some kind of problem in
the window manager I was using but the problem persisted even after I switched
to twm.  Things became particularly bad this past week, when on three different
occasions, I had to reboot my diskless Sun3/60 to regain control following a
blank-out.

It seems to happen when I start using the node after long periods of inactivity.

				Bruce

				Systems Group
				Computer Aided Engineering Network
				University of Michgian, Ann Arbor, MI.

warner%s3snorkel@S3DAWN.ARPA (Ken Warner) (05/23/88)

I have had my 3/50 blank-out and lock-up such that I had to reboot also. I have
not seen it blink and return. I have seen the "text table full" message. These
symptoms seem to happen after a long period of inactivity.
Ken

ehl@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Elgin Lee) (05/29/88)

I've also had the screen blink problem.  The problem went away when I
turned off the X screensaver ("xset s off").

I believe that the "text table full" message indicates that you have
too many processes with different text segments, overflowing a
statically allocated kernel table.  /etc/pstat -x will show you (among
other things) how close you are to this limit ("xx/yy active texts"
indicates that the current number is xx, max is yy).  You can increase
this limit by reconfiguring the kernel; see your Sun documentation for
more on this.
--
Elgin Lee

UUCP:  ..decvax!decwrl!shasta!ehl