[comp.windows.x] X.V11R2 running on a Sun

thompson@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (05/26/88)

I am having trouble getting X.V11R2 up and running on a Sun 3/160
which may come as a surprise to many people since it seems to be such an easy
installation.  It compiles and installs without any errors. When I start it
up, the server puts up the gray X background, and places the "X" mouse in
the center of the screen just like it should.  Then it dies.  I get back
my unix prompt with keyboard locked.  The initial xterm console window
is never displayed on the screen.  No error messages are printed out to the
console.  The X server dumps core in my current directory that dbx says it
died in:

cfbPadPixmap(0x3) at 0x90a0
cfbChangeWindowAttributes(0x1c333c, 0x0) at 0xb11b
sunChangeWindowAttributes(0x1c333c, 0x4) at 0x3ff7
ChangeWindowAttributes(0x1c333c, 0x0, 0x1c16dc, 0x1c25c4) at 0x36e53
ProcChangeWindowAttributes(0x1c25c4) at 0x1f28b
Dispatch() at 0x1f0a5
main(0x2, 0xefffe68, 0xefffe74) at 0x2d4fd

I know that the server has gotten as far as invoking xterm by looking at
lastcomm.  But xterm doesn't make it to actually being displayed on the screen.
I have tried substituting X.V11R1's xterm.  X.V11R1 xterm is displayed on the
screen, but it won't accept keyboard input.  I've applied patches 1-10
to X.V11R2, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Has anyone else out there had these problems compiling it on a Sun 3/160C
running SunOS Release 3.3?  The installation has been made so simple,
that it's really frustrating looking for a problem.  The only modification
that I make to the source is in ./util/imake.includes/Imake.tmpl to tell
it where to put the binaries, libraries, etc.  I do have some experience
in installing these things from X.V10R4 and X.V11R1.93 but I'm really stumped
with this one.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dave Thompson
    UUCP:    {ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!newton!davet
    INTERNET: davet@ncsa.uiuc.edu
    CSNET:   thompson%uxe@uiuc.csnet
    BITNET:  14011@NCSAVMSA.BITNET

takagi@icot32.icot.junet (Takagi Shigeyuki) (05/28/88)

In article <61800003@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> thompson@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Has anyone else out there had these problems compiling it on a Sun 3/160C
>running SunOS Release 3.3?  The installation has been made so simple,
	 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had the same problem with SUN 3/260HM running OS 3.3.
Similar installation problems occurred with both X11R1 and X11R2.

When I changed my OS from 3.3 to 3.5, everything went fine.
(Of course, you need to do "make Everything".)

I think this is a bug of 3.3's C compiler or library.

S.Takagi
takagi%icot.jp@relay.cs.net

jw@obelisk.sics.se (Johan Widen) (06/01/88)

>I am having trouble getting X.V11R2 up and running on a Sun 3/160
>which may come as a surprise to many people since it seems to be such an easy
>installation.  It compiles and installs without any errors. When I start it
>up, the server puts up the gray X background, and places the "X" mouse in
>the center of the screen just like it should.  Then it dies.  I get back

>Has anyone else out there had these problems compiling it on a Sun 3/160C
>running SunOS Release 3.3?  The installation has been made so simple,

Yes! The culprit seems to be the compiler. Try the SunOS 3.4 compiler. Worked
like a charm for me.
--
Johan Widen
SICS, PO Box 1263, S-164 28 KISTA, SWEDEN

wohler@joyce.UUCP (06/05/88)

  while we're talking about strange installations of the sun server
  and clients, note that i recently discovered that the 4.3BSD netdb.h
  for the nameserver, if installed in /usr/include, will cause all
  clients to die with a segmentation fault in the XOpenDisplay code.

  it appears that

#define h_addr  h_addr_list[0]  /* address, for backward compatiblity */

  doesn't work as advertised.  we've noticed this in other
  applications as well.  can anyone explain?

						--bw

mic@ut-emx.UUCP (Mic (... K[a-z]+) Kaczmarczik) (06/06/88)

In article <12879@joyce.istc.sri.com> wohler@spam.istc.sri.com (Bill Wohler) writes:

>  while we're talking about strange installations of the sun server
>  and clients, note that i recently discovered that the 4.3BSD netdb.h
>  for the nameserver, if installed in /usr/include, will cause all
>  clients to die with a segmentation fault in the XOpenDisplay code.
>
>  it appears that
>
>#define h_addr  h_addr_list[0]  /* address, for backward compatiblity */
>
>  doesn't work as advertised.  we've noticed this in other
>  applications as well.  can anyone explain?

I had the same problem when I rebuilt X11R2 on our cluster of Suns a
few weeks after after we had installed the 4.3 netdb.h.  I traced
through the code and had it isolated to the line in XOpenDisplay()
that calls gethostbyname().  The problem is that the SunOS libc
versions of gethostbyname(), etc. still use the old definition of
h_addr -- they return a (char *) instead of a (char **), so
XOpenDisplay() was trying to use the host's Internet address as a
character pointer!

We thought of two solutions: 1) re-install the SunOS netdb.h and only
use the 4.3 netdb.h when building the things we want to use the
resolver library with, or 2) change the Sun makefiles for X to link
everything against the resolver library.  Either way makes the
definitions of h_addr match up again; we opted for the first approach
because it was simpler and required fewer changes to our systems.

--mic--

--
Mic Kaczmarczik			If you drink, don't drill.
UT Austin Computation Center			-- Matt Groening