[comp.windows.x] why does ...

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (06/07/88)

Why does XGetWindowAttributes (the Xlib function) actually make two
protocol requests? (GetWindowAttributes and GetGeometry)

After all there is an XGetGeometry Xlib function for the info from the
GetGeometry request. So what's the point in making
XGetWindowAttributes not correspond exactly to the info from the
GetWindowAttributes request?

Am I missing something obvious?

-ted		ARPAnet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
		UUCP:    {randvax,ihnp4,sdcrdcf,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!tek

jg@jumbo.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (06/07/88)

In article <13188@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> tek@CS.UCLA.EDU () writes:
>Why does XGetWindowAttributes (the Xlib function) actually make two
>protocol requests? (GetWindowAttributes and GetGeometry)

It is one of my less-than-great ideas; the idea was to get all information
about a window in one call, which can be potentially done in one round
trip (by appropriate library hackery) rather than 2.  It is not
implemented that way at the moment (any volunteers to fix it out there?),
and I'm not sure I'd do it this way again.

				- Jim Gettys