[comp.windows.x] xterm and box graphics

mlp@ardent.UUCP (Mark Patrick) (06/11/88)

The VT100 supports a special character set for constructing simple vertical
and horizontal lines.  These are often used in laying out simple forms for
data entry.  It appears that the xterm terminal emulator supports the
escape sequnece to select this alternate character set but does not
actually display these charcaters.  Does anyone know if this is correct or
am I doing something wrong?

Mark Patrick
Ardent Computer
uunet!ardent!mlp

guido@cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) (06/11/88)

>It appears that the xterm terminal emulator supports the
>escape sequnece to select this alternate character set but does not
>actually display these charcaters.

Check out the font you're using, e.g., using 'xfd'.  I remember having
seen these characters in 'fixed'.

--Guido

avr@mtgzz.UUCP (XMRP50000[jcm]-a.v.reed) (06/12/88)

In article <8806110702.AA27326@gr.ardent.com<, mlp@ardent.UUCP (Mark Patrick) writes:
< The VT100 supports a special character set for constructing simple vertical
< and horizontal lines.  These are often used in laying out simple forms for
< data entry.  It appears that the xterm terminal emulator supports the
< escape sequnece to select this alternate character set but does not
< actually display these charcaters.  Does anyone know if this is correct or
< am I doing something wrong?

You are using a font without the line drawing character set.
Use xfd to find a font that has line drawing characters, and
use xterm with this font. It works fine - I've used it with
several programs that expect it.
				Adam Reed (mtgzz!avr)

garyc@tekecs.TEK.COM (Gary Combs) (06/13/88)

The ability to draw a box in an xterm (by means of the alternate character set)
requires that the font selected for that xterm has the symbols. Try the fonts:
6x10,6x13,6x13p,8x13,9x15,kilter. There might be others. I used xfd to examine
the fonts.

Gary Combs     			garyc@tekecs.GWD.TEK
Tektronix, Inc.			Wilsonvile, Oregon

wong@llama.rtech.UUCP (J. Wong) (06/14/88)

In article <8806110702.AA27326@gr.ardent.com> mlp@ardent.UUCP (Mark Patrick) writes:
>The VT100 supports a special character set for constructing simple vertical
>and horizontal lines.  These are often used in laying out simple forms for
>data entry.  It appears that the xterm terminal emulator supports the
>escape sequnece to select this alternate character set but does not
>actually display these charcaters.  Does anyone know if this is correct or
>am I doing something wrong?

Only the "vtsingle" font supports the graphic characters.  That is,
you are using a font that does not have these graphic characters
defined.
J. Wong			sun!rtech!wong
	      ucbvax!mtxinu!/
S-s-s-ay!