[comp.windows.x] awm posting again

jkh@ardent.UUCP (Jordan Hubbard) (06/17/88)

A few people have flamed about posting a 17 part distribution to xpert,
citing wasted resources, bandwidth and time. First, let me say that the
distribution is in 17 parts because each part is much smaller than
usual. Had I packed it normally, it would have been 9. I thought that
many smaller parts would have more chance of getting through than
large ones.

It was also suggested that the "proper" way to do things would be to
put it on expo.lcs.mit.edu. I agree, and it will be there just as soon
as I can get a connection that doesn't time out. In the mean time, it's
on decwrl.dec.com and ucbvax.berkeley.edu. However, none of these hosts
are much use to people without internet access, which seems to be
a growing percentage of xpert readers, many of which have been asking me
about awm. I agree that there should be a better way of handling this.
Perhaps an "xsource" mailing list could be set up that just consisted
of central distribution points for each region. I.E. only one copy would
get send to the U.K., one to Australia, one to the east coast, etc etc.
Naturally, these cites would have to be ones that agreed to get it to
their neighbors somehow and made that a well advertised fact.

I'm open to suggestions. The flames I've gotten seem to be rather biased
towards internet-only folks though and I'd be down on any suggestions that
didn't have some provision for those without.

						Jordan Hubbard

david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) (06/19/88)

In article <8806161824.AA04821@scrod.ardent.com> jkh@ardent.UUCP (Jordan Hubbard) writes:

>Perhaps an "xsource" mailing list could be set up that just consisted
>of central distribution points for each region. I.E. only one copy would
>get send to the U.K., one to Australia, one to the east coast, etc etc.
>Naturally, these cites would have to be ones that agreed to get it to
>their neighbors somehow and made that a well advertised fact.

That's my little hand up waving in the air! As a non-U.S. site, it seems
that I can not get access to ARPA unless I am performing some valid
military function. So... I think the idea of regional storage for
these programs is a great idea. I volunteer to become the main
Canadian storage node for this type of stuff.

I am very tired (read jealous) of those U.S. sites that say "just ftp
it" as if anyone could do it. If I could ftp it, damnit I would!

Mail me the pieces, I'll re-assemble, test and make available to
anyone who wants to drop a quarter or make a tape.

David Haynes

David Haynes                                              Just another road
Geac Computers International Inc.                         kill on the highway
UUCP: uunet!mnetor!geac!david -or- david@geac.UUCP        of life.

turner@daisy.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (06/21/88)

Now that we've got some breathing space (read disk space) and telebit
modems (RSN) I'll volunteer as an anon. uucp site for the west coast.
I think a network of non-ftp archive sites is an EXCELLANT idea.

I tried setting this up once before as a mail archive and found it
impractical, too many non-reversable addresses etc. So may I suggest
that we do this by anonymous login.

Here's to XArchive

--
Don't you think that Mahitabel is a bit too toujour gay? - Archie
...{decwrl|ucbvax}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner (James M. Turner)