[comp.windows.x] Need X11 to X10 window dump converter and ...

hackeron@athena.mit.edu (Harris L Gilliam) (06/18/88)

Hi there,

	Does anyone have/know of a X11 to X10 window dump converter. I
would also be interested in any X conversions progs. For example
something to convert X10 bitmaps to X11 bitmaps and vice/versa. Or
maybe something that converts X10 and X11 dumps into some other format
(not Postscript or PBM, I've got those already). I would appreciate
all help. Please reply by mail to one of the following addresses.

hackeron@athena.mit.edu
hgilliam@krazy-kat.media.mit.edu
hgilliam@cheshire.media.mit.edu
hgilliam@snagglepuss.media.mit.edu
hgilliam@tigger.media.mit.edu
hgilliam@media-lab.media.mit.edu

							Thanks

|    Harris L. Gilliam        ()Internet : hackeron@athena.mit.edu         |
|4 Ames St. Cambridge MA 02139()UUCP {backbone..}!mit-eddie!athena!hackeron|
*             There are no bugs, only unrecognized features.               *

lid@cernvax.UUCP (lid) (06/22/88)

About x10 to x11 conversion: I've got in x11r2 a program called x10tox11.
The man page that comes with it is at best cryptic.
Could somebody explain what it can do, how to use it ?
Thank you very much,

	Achille Petrilli, Cray Operation

chet@cwunxc.CWRU.EDU (Chester Ramey) (06/24/88)

In article <726@cernvax.UUCP> lid@cernvax.UUCP () writes:

>About x10 to x11 conversion: I've got in x11r2 a program called x10tox11.
>The man page that comes with it is at best cryptic.
>Could somebody explain what it can do, how to use it ?
>Thank you very much,
>
>	Achille Petrilli, Cray Operation

x10tx11 sits in the background and spoofs as an X10 server.  It receives X10
protocol requests, converts them into X11 requests, and vice versa.  We've
used it for a little while here; it seems to work pretty well.  We've run
xrn and a few other x10 programs under X11 with it and had only minor
difficulties, to wit:

1) the window manager (we use twm, but it might be the same for all X11
   window managers) doesn't seem to realize that this thing exists.  It
   can't be moved around the screen, etc.

2) the graphics are not sharp (of course, it's just an emulation of X10
   on X11; perfection is not expected)

3) it's pretty slow (again, the cost of emulation)

Other than that, we've found it very useful.

Chet Ramey
chet@kiwi.cwru.edu