[comp.windows.x] Xstuff

Paul.Birkel@K.CS.CMU.EDU (07/03/87)

Thank you Marshall.

Since our mailer doesn't seem to be able to locate your address,
I'll ask here:

	Both xdvi and xtbit expect XWDFile.h to be around. It
	is neither in our standard local X environment, nor
	located in one of your other Xstuff directories. Where
	is it?

Keep up the good work.

Paul Birkel

Dept. of Computer Science
Carnegie-Mellon University

pab@k.cs.cmu.edu

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (11/16/87)

    One suggestion would be to make fixes available incrementally instead of
    just large groups.

Me no unnerstan (too early Monday).  If you mean physically, the fixes
are available individually from xstuff.  You don't have to get the
pre-cut batches of 10, you can just say
	send fixes 47
if you want.  If you mean timeliness, I announce them when I think
they've been adequately tested, and when I have time to announce them.

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (12/19/87)

Fix #93 (xterm Tek mode) available via xstuff@apx.lcs.mit.edu.

Also available is David Rosenthal's "Hello, World" article;
send the message "send etc hw" to xstuff to get it.  This is
recommended reading for anyone attending either of the
tutorials at the upcoming X conference.

hill@nicmad.UUCP (Ray Hill) (07/05/88)

Thanks to everyone for their help on uucp mail paths to xstuff. The correct
answer is:
	" ...!mit-eddie!expo.lcs.mit.edu!xstuff"

After close to a month of requesting the distribution patches from xstuff I
finally got 1 to 33! Thanks for the patches to the people responsible for set up
the xstuff service.

Advice for others trying to use the mail service:

1.	Even though requests can batch multiple files into large mail messages,
	request all files separately. The larger the file to be mailed, the
	lower the priority xstuff has to send it.

2.	Always wait at least week before re-mailing a request to the service.
	Xstuff has tons of stuff to send and takes a while to mail most
	requests.

3.	Xstuff confirmation messages only mean xstuff got the request not that
	it will ever be able to mail what was requested. (see #2 above)

Does someone out there with FTP access to xstuff want to start up an anonymous
UUCP site so us X Windowing system users without FTP access can get to all the
code announced on the net constantly? (I'd be happy to pay the phone bill to
call anywhere in the country to get the latest and greatest releases) If this
form of distribution became available xstuffs load would drop significantly.

						Ray Hill
						hill@nicmad

jkh@ardent.UUCP (07/06/88)

This sounds like what comp.sources.x is supposed to achieve (a number of
people around the planet have volunteered to be archive sites for it
as well). How's this coming, by the way?

					Jordan

david@geac.UUCP (David Haynes) (07/07/88)

In article <8807060010.AA00170@scrod.ardent.com> jkh@ardent.UUCP writes:
>This sounds like what comp.sources.x is supposed to achieve (a number of
>people around the planet have volunteered to be archive sites for it
>as well). How's this coming, by the way?
>
>					Jordan

The Canadian X Source Depot is just about organized enough to get running.
One problem I have though is how to get the stuff now in contrib on
expo.mit.edu. I have the last ``official'' release of the contributor's tape
and everything that has been posted (twm, awm, etc) but I haven't got
things like Siemanns Tiled Window Manager. "We will not make tapes, ftp
it only" (sigh)

I am exploring telebit access to uunet (we have telebits) and X.25
access as well (we have a micom pad).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was recently sent a package called CLUE as a btoa image of a compressed
tar image of the source.

-david-

David Haynes
Geac Computers Canada Ltd.
UUCP: uunet!mnetor!geac!david -or- david@geac.UUCP
Official Keeper of the Canadian X11 Sources Depot

lee%hhb@PRINCETON.EDU (lee daniels) (07/08/88)

> >This sounds like what comp.sources.x is supposed to achieve (a number of
> >people around the planet have volunteered to be archive sites for it
> >as well). How's this coming, by the way?
> >
> >					Jordan
>
> The Canadian X Source Depot is just about organized enough to get running.
> One problem I have though is how to get the stuff now in contrib on
> expo.mit.edu.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here are two suggestions from the New Jersey X Source Depot --

1. Is there one X archive site that has FTP access that can get all of the stuff
   and then allow the rest of us archive sites to uucp from them.

2. Can I talk someone at expo.lcs.mit.edu into making one tape a week of the
   contrib directory and mailing it to me and I will make the stuff more
   generally available either by tape or uucp.  How 'bout it guys, one tape
   a week can't be too bad.  It will get the rest of us off your backs trying
   to find out how to get contrib stuff.  I'll even send you the tape.

--

Lee Daniels			(201) 848-8000
HHB Systems

mdb@silvlis.COM (Mark D. Baushke) (07/08/88)

>  Date: 7 Jul 88 12:20:16 GMT
>  From: sun!uunet.uu.net!mnetor!utzoo!yunexus!geac!david  (David Haynes)
>
>  In article <8807060010.AA00170@scrod.ardent.com> jkh@ardent.UUCP writes:
>  >This sounds like what comp.sources.x is supposed to achieve (a number of
>  >people around the planet have volunteered to be archive sites for it
>  >as well). How's this coming, by the way?
>  >
>  >					Jordan
>
>  The Canadian X Source Depot is just about organized enough to get running.
>  One problem I have though is how to get the stuff now in contrib on
>  expo.mit.edu. I have the last ``official'' release of the contributor's tape
>  and everything that has been posted (twm, awm, etc) but I haven't got
>  things like Siemanns Tiled Window Manager. "We will not make tapes, ftp
>  it only" (sigh)
>
>  I am exploring telebit access to uunet (we have telebits) and X.25
>  access as well (we have a micom pad).
>
>  Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
>  I was recently sent a package called CLUE as a btoa image of a compressed
>  tar image of the source.

Maybe someone with FTP access could send you a series of "split" btoa
images of the compressed tar images of the source? (Sorry, I don't
have FTP access either.)

Sending "split" bota images of compressed tar images of the source is
actually quite efficient (and probably necessary given the amount of
compressed tar files already being put out for Anonymous FTP).

I use the following shell scripts quite often to send and receive
"binary" (typically compressed) files through the mail. They are quite
useful.

The only drawback is that sometimes my /tmp gets too full for "really
large" mailings. (Then I usually make a quick copy of the shell script
with a different directory which does have enough space.)

Since I am not certain how widespread the "split" form of the
tarmail/untarmail scripts are (the btoamail/unbtoamail are being
published here for the first time) I am including them in this
message. With luck, someone with FTP access will be able to use these
scripts to help you out.

Enjoy!

#-------------------------cut here -------------------------
#!/bin/sh
# This is a shell archive.  Remove anything before this line,
# then unpack it by saving it in a file and typing "sh file".
#
# Wrapped by  on Fri Jul  8 08:07:40 PDT 1988
# Contents:  tarmail untarmail btoamail unbtoamail

echo x - tarmail
sed 's/^@//' > "tarmail" <<'@//E*O*F tarmail//'
#!/bin/sh
# "tarmail" takes a file or list of files and creates a "tar file" it
# then compresses this data (using compress) and converts it to an ascii
# form (using btoa). If it is "too large" to fit into typical mail
# transport systems (some uucp sites break at 64K bytes), it will split
# the image into multiple parts and send them using the standard "mail"
# command.
if test $# -lt 3; then
  echo "Usage: tarmail mailpath \"subject-string\" directory-or-file(s)"
  exit
else
  mailpath=$1
  echo "mailpath = $mailpath"
  shift
  subject="$1"
  echo "subject-string = $subject"
  shift
  echo files = $*
  tar cvf - $* | compress | btoa | split -700 - /tmp/tm$$
  n=1
  set /tmp/tm$$*
  for f do
    {
	echo '---start beef'
	cat $f
	echo '---end beef'
    } | Mail -s "$subject - part $n of $#" $mailpath
    echo "part $n of $# sent (" `wc -c < $f` "bytes)"
    n=`expr $n + 1`
  done
  rm /tmp/tm$$*
fi
@//E*O*F tarmail//
chmod u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx tarmail

echo x - untarmail
sed 's/^@//' > "untarmail" <<'@//E*O*F untarmail//'
#!/bin/sh
# "untarmail" takes a an ordered list of mail messages (if they were in
# multiple parts, the must be fed to untarmail in order) and recreates
# the data stored by the original "tarmail" reversing each step along
# the way.
if test $# -ge 1; then
   sed '/^---end beef/,/^---start beef/d' $* | atob | uncompress | tar xvpf -
   echo remember to remove the tarmail files: $*
else
   sed '/^---end beef/,/^---start beef/d' | atob | uncompress | tar xvpf -
fi
@//E*O*F untarmail//
chmod u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx untarmail

echo x - btoamail
sed 's/^@//' > "btoamail" <<'@//E*O*F btoamail//'
#!/bin/sh
# "btoamail" converts a "binary" file to an ascii form (using btoa).
# If it is "too large" to fit into typical mail transport systems
# (some uucp sites break at 64K bytes), it will split the image into
# multiple parts and send them using the standard "mail" command.
if test $# -lt 2; then
  echo "Usage: $0 mailpath \"subject-string\" [binaryfile]"
  exit
else
  mailpath=$1
  echo "mailpath = $mailpath"
  shift
  subject="$1"
  echo "subject-string = $subject"
  shift
  if test $# -eq 0; then
    btoa | split -700 - /tmp/tm$$
  else
    echo binaryfile = $1
    btoa < $1 | split -700 - /tmp/tm$$
  fi
  n=1
  set /tmp/tm$$*
  for f do
    {
	echo '---start beef'
	cat $f
	echo '---end beef'
    } | Mail -s "$subject - part $n of $#" $mailpath
    echo "part $n of $# sent (" `wc -c < $f` "bytes)"
    n=`expr $n + 1`
  done
  rm /tmp/tm$$*
fi
@//E*O*F btoamail//
chmod u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx btoamail

echo x - unbtoamail
sed 's/^@//' > "unbtoamail" <<'@//E*O*F unbtoamail//'
#!/bin/sh
# "unbtoamail" takes a an ordered list of mail messages (if they were
# in multiple parts, the must be fed to unbtoamail in order...this is
# easy enough as you will see) and recreates the data which was fed to
# the original "btoamail" reversing each step.
if test $# -ge 1; then
   sed '/^---end beef/,/^---start beef/d' $* | atob
else
   sed '/^---end beef/,/^---start beef/d' | atob
fi
@//E*O*F unbtoamail//
chmod u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx unbtoamail

exit 0

Mark D. Baushke                 Internet:    mdb%silvlis.com@sun.com
Silvar-Lisco, Inc.              Nameservers: mdb@silvlis.com
1080 Marsh Road                 Usenet:      {pyramid,sun}!silvlis!mdb
Menlo Park, CA 94025-1053       Telephone:   +1 415 853-6411 / +1 415 969-8328

jkh@ardent.UUCP (07/09/88)

>Here are two suggestions from the New Jersey X Source Depot --

>2. Can I talk someone at expo.lcs.mit.edu into making one tape a week of the
>   contrib directory and mailing it to me and I will make the stuff more
>   generally available either by tape or uucp.  How 'bout it guys, one tape
>   a week can't be too bad.  It will get the rest of us off your backs trying
>   to find out how to get contrib stuff.  I'll even send you the tape.

They'll probably speak up in their own defense, but I just wanted to say
that I think it's unreasonable to request such things from the
consortium. They've got more than enough to do eithout having to worry
about contributed software and/or the overhead of making everyone and his
brother a "special tape" (believe me, once they did it for you, a lot of
other people would start asking similar favors).

					Jordan