[comp.windows.x] X Terminals & SLIP

dshr@SUN.COM (David Rosenthal) (07/08/88)

I was very impressed with the X terminal prototype that XPi and Visual had
at Usenix.  It was directly connected to the Ethernet,  but I expect to
see people trying to do the same thing over the phone soon.  I'm not an
expert on communication protocols,  but I had heard of SLIP,  so I asked
around to see if this was the answer.

The experts I talked to were unanimous that SLIP is not the right answer;
here are a selection of the reasons they gave:

1)	There are a number of incompatible versions of SLIP.  The RFC1055
	"generic" version does not cover compression,  which would be important
	for X terminals.

2)	SLIP connections need a separate network number - this fills up
	the route daemon tables.

3)	SLIP connections need statically assigned network and host numbers
	- this makes it impossible to have a pool of dial-in lines.  I know
	that UC Davis has hacked around this,  but once again this isn't
	RFC1055 "standard".

4)	SLIP does no error checking.  It depends on higher-level protocols
	to detect errors and do re-transmission.  Doing this at the
	end-to-end level is very inefficient,  and can mean that a very
	short error burst at the low level can cause a very long delay
	at the higher level.  This would be a particular problem for any
	X clients that were accessed via gateways,  etc.  It could also
	be a problem for an X terminal that used NFS client code to access
	fonts,  which would be a really good way of getting at them.

5)	SLIP does not support an Ethernet-like packet type field to permit
	extensions (for example,  extensions for compression,  ISO protocols,
	and so on).

As I understand it,  an Internet Engineering Task Force has been
chartered by the Internet Activities Board to attack this area.  I
believe they expect to have a prototype implementation in the next few
months.  The contact people for this effort are:

	Drew Daniel Perkins <ddp@andrew.cmu.edu>
	Russ Hobby <rdhobby@ucdavis.edu>
	Philip Prindeville <philipp@cs.mcgill.ca>

Is anyone from the "xserial" world in touch with this effort?  Since these
terminals will depend on the OS they're accessing to support their brand
of serial-line networking,  making sure that they use whatever turns out
to be the Internet standard would be pretty important.  And it is
probably important to get the requirements of X terminals into the design
process early on.

	David.

devon@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM (07/11/88)

I am looking for different brands of terminals which support X directly.
If anyone can give me the address or phone numbers of XPi, Visual, or
any other manufacturer of terminals with X support I would appreciate it
greatly.

                             Devon Shows
                        devon@SSD.HARRIS.COM
             ...!{mit-eddie,uunet,novavax}!hcx1!devon

diamant@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (07/12/88)

> The experts I talked to were unanimous that SLIP is not the right answer;
> here are a selection of the reasons they gave:

Many of the points you make below are good, but there are a few corrections.
It seems to me that SLIP is the best thing we have at the moment, but that we
should look for better alternatives for the future.

> 1)	There are a number of incompatible versions of SLIP.  The RFC1055
> 	"generic" version does not cover compression,  which would be important
> 	for X terminals.

I think 4.3BSD SLIP is close to a defacto standard, though certainly there are
incompatible versions, and this is a problem.  Compression is definitely a
problem, though it can be handled in hardware (for instance Telebit
Trailblazers do hardware data compression if requested).  It's not clear that
compression is really that big a win during interactive use of X.  It will
probably only help during transfers of large bitmaps or significant other
amounts of data.  The handshake will slow things down in interactive response.

> 2)	SLIP connections need a separate network number - this fills up
> 	the route daemon tables.

This is not true.  It is implementation dependent.  Cisco Systems has an
implementation on their ethertip that allows all SLIP connections to be on
the same network/subnet as the ethertip.

> 3)	SLIP connections need statically assigned network and host numbers
> 	- this makes it impossible to have a pool of dial-in lines.  I know
> 	that UC Davis has hacked around this,  but once again this isn't
> 	RFC1055 "standard".

Not impossible, just difficult.  Cisco also handles this situation, by telling
you which address was assigned to you upon connection.  They also will work
with bootp to allow a machine to ask for its own address.  This isn't that
big of a problem.

> 4)	SLIP does no error checking.

Good point.

> 5)	SLIP does not support an Ethernet-like packet type field to permit
> 	extensions (for example,  extensions for compression,  ISO protocols,
> 	and so on).

Yup.

John Diamant
Software Development Environments
Hewlett-Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		UUCP:  {hplabs,hpfcla}!hpfclp!diamant

alan@apple.apple.COM (Alan Mimms) (07/13/88)

There's a company in Campbell, CA (area code 408) called GraphOn which is
contemplating manufacturing of an X11 workstation based on its existing
terminal hardware with some changes.  Talk to them.  They're reasonably
smart people.

alan

Alan Mimms			My opinions are generally
Communications Products Group	pretty worthless, but
Apple Computer			they *are* my own...
...it's so simple that only a child can do it!  -- Tom Lehrer, "New Math"

jkh@ardent.UUCP (07/15/88)

John raised an interesting point.. Modern modems (like telebits) will indeed
do compression, if requested. What's more, they'll do error checking. What's
wrong with building SLIP networks that assume that the underlying hardware
will take care of most of the grungyness you mentioned?

					Jordan

dshr@SUN.COM (David Rosenthal) (07/15/88)

> Many of the points you make below are good, but there are a few corrections.
> It seems to me that SLIP is the best thing we have at the moment, but that we
> should look for better alternatives for the future.

The point of the mail was to show people where the "better alternatives" were
coming from and what the timescale was.  People interested in getting a
functional defacto standard for use with X terminals need to be in touch
with the IETF effort.

> I think 4.3BSD SLIP is close to a defacto standard, though certainly there are
> incompatible versions, and this is a problem.  Compression is definitely a
> problem, though it can be handled in hardware (for instance Telebit
> Trailblazers do hardware data compression if requested).  It's not clear that
> compression is really that big a win during interactive use of X.  It will
> probably only help during transfers of large bitmaps or significant other
> amounts of data.  The handshake will slow things down in interactive response.

4.3BSD SLIP isn't a good enough defacto standard for X terminals to use,
and incompatible versions are more than just "a problem" if you're shipping
machines with software in ROM.  The compression that matters is not Telebit-type
data compression,  but header compression.  The headers can be many times the
size of the data.

To repeat,  if you are planning to ship X terminals that work over the phone
with generic systems,  rather than just one type of proprietary box,  you need

jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (07/15/88)

In article <9740039@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM> diamant@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (John
Diamant) writes (quoting someone else):
>> 1)	There are a number of incompatible versions of SLIP.  The RFC1055
>> 	"generic" version does not cover compression,  which would be important
>> 	for X terminals.
>[...].  It's not clear that compression is really that big a win
>during interactive use of X.

I suspect that the compression being referred to is header
compression, which *is* critically important for interactive uses of
SLIP, including the proposed use of X over SLIP.  Header compression
reduces the per-packet (and thus the per-round-trip) overhead by
reducing the large and often redundant IP/TCP headers to a few bits in
most cases.

The Telebit TrailblazerPlus modem would probably work OK, as would any
high speed modem with a reasonable turnaround time.

I have used Telnet over generic SLIP (probably not much worse than X)
at 2400 bps, and it was usable, but not pleasant.

The TB would work even better if special support for SLIP was provided
(it wasn't last I checked) like it is for UUCP, Kermit, XMODEM, etc.

Jeff Siegal

bill@tahoe.unr.edu (Bill Rainey) (07/16/88)

In article <111300005@hcx1> devon@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:
>If anyone can give me the address or phone numbers of XPi, Visual, or

Here are the addresses and numbers for
	Xpi Inc.
	Wayland Square, Box 3245
	Providence, RI 02906