[comp.windows.x] how to remap keys

rusty@VIOLET.BERKELEY.EDU (07/26/88)

I think I've seen this question go by before, but I don't remember
what the outcome was.

How do you remap the function keys on the keyboard?  For example,
many of the function keys on the sun keyboard don't transmit anything.
It looks to me like I need to use the XRebindKeysym function.  Is
there anything around that does this?

rob@daisy.UUCP (Rob Posadas) (07/28/88)

In article <8807260629.AA13796@violet.berkeley.edu> rusty@VIOLET.BERKELEY.EDU writes:
>How do you remap the function keys on the keyboard?  For example,
>many of the function keys on the sun keyboard don't transmit anything.
>It looks to me like I need to use the XRebindKeysym function.  Is
>there anything around that does this?

The problem is with xterm.  The X server returns a keycode for every
key on the keyboard.  xterm then maps these keycodes to something else
and passes them to the user.  I don't know if the XRebindKeysym function
will have the required effect, but someone posted patches to xterm
to modify what will be returned (I believe the file is input.c in the
xterm directory).  If the person who posted before is listening, maybe
he will re-post.

                   Good Luck
--
            Rob Posadas -- Daisy Systems Corp