[comp.windows.x] xps for X10

fulton@cookie.dec.com (Roger Fulton CXO1-2/N22 x3761) (07/20/88)

Yesterday someone posted info about a  Postscript  previewer  for X, and
included  updates to go from X10 to  X11.    The  name  of  the  program
referred  to  was  xps,  and was said to  be  in  the  comp.sources.unix
archives, volume 12.  I checked two different comp.sources.unix  archive
locations,  all  volumes,  as  well  as a comp.sources.misc archive, and
could not find any reference to xps.

Would someone please verify the correct location of xps and direct me to
it?    We  are  still running X10 here, so I need to  get  the  original
version.

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Roger Fulton

    uucp: ...decwrl!cookie.dec.com!fulton
Internet: fulton@cookie.dec.com

dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) (07/21/88)

Sorry to mislead.  Its volume 12 issues 50-67 and its called "A
PostScript interpreter" or postscript/part??.

--
+*************************************************************************+
*  Dana Chee				(201) 829-4488			  *

caag@inf.rl.ac.uk (Crispin Goswell) (07/30/88)

In article <8807201528.AA02174@decwrl.dec.com> fulton@cookie.dec.com (Roger Fulton CXO1-2/N22 x3761) writes:
>Yesterday someone posted info about a  Postscript  previewer  for X, and
>included  updates to go from X10 to  X11.    The  name  of  the  program
>referred  to  was  xps,  and was said to  be  in  the  comp.sources.unix
>archives, volume 12.  I checked two different comp.sources.unix  archive
>locations,  all  volumes,  as  well  as a comp.sources.misc archive, and
>could not find any reference to xps.
>
>Would someone please verify the correct location of xps and direct me to
>it?    We  are  still running X10 here, so I need to  get  the  original
>version.

I don't keep copies of the comp.sources.unix volume index, but my postscript
interpreter was posted in November 1987. It's not normally known as XPS,
because it has drivers for other displays (suns, apollos, ...).
It is available for ftp from mimsy.umd.edu or parcvax.xerox.com as
PSPreviewer.tar.Z. It really doesn't drive X10 very well, as X10 was missing
some important features: drawing into offscreen bitmaps mostly.
The X10 driver was an experiment (to see if it was possible). It doesn't
really work adequately, particularly for text, which is the major use for it.

The X11 driver is nearly just fine, however, and will be fine when backing
store appears.

Incidentally, which looks worse: all capitals or "adjusted" fixed width text?
--

Name:  Crispin Goswell		 	  |-------|-\  Informatics Department
Usenet:{... | mcvax}!ukc!rlvd!caag	  |  Tea  |  | Rutherford Appleton Lab