[comp.windows.x] backingstore and screen updates.

rapatel@athos.rutgers.edu ( Rakesh Patel) (08/16/88)

When using backingstore on a Sun, I have found a slight problem.  When
using a window manager such as awm or twm, xterm windows do not
refresh properly on a resize. I assume awm and twm would need to be
modified to take advantage of backingstore, but should it have such an
effect when using other window managers that don't support backingstore?

							Rakesh Patel.

keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Keith Packard) (08/16/88)

The original backing store code distributed by Adam De Boor had some slight
troubles with resizing windows with bit-gravity.  Fixed in R3.

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (08/16/88)

There are numerous bugs in the backing-store code that was placed in
contrib/ on expo.  (I'm not knocking the code, it was a great help to
us, thanks Adam.)  We've made lots of changes at MIT to make it work,
plus we've fixed some bugs in a few clients relating to this (like
xterm, which failed to worry about clearing it's inner border).
Strictly speaking, the latter is not really due to backing-store being
turned on, but by gravity starting to be obeyed.  However, it just
isn't reasonable for us to get this stuff out until the next release.

jkh@pcsbst.UUCP (Jordan K. Hubbard) (08/19/88)

In article <Aug.15.19.01.42.1988.9904@athos.rutgers.edu> rapatel@athos.rutgers.edu ( Rakesh Patel) writes:

>When using backingstore on a Sun, I have found a slight problem.  When
>using a window manager such as awm or twm, xterm windows do not
>refresh properly on a resize. I assume awm and twm would need to be
>modified to take advantage of backingstore, but should it have such an
>effect when using other window managers that don't support backingstore?

Note that awm will take advantage of backing store, but only if told
to do so. Read the man page for the correct "variable" to set. awm does
not do this by default, so it's unlikely that your problem is related.

					Jordan