[comp.windows.x] X11.2 SUNOS4.0 installation problems

Lanning.pa@XEROX.COM (Stan Lanning) (08/24/88)

[Sorry for the wide distribution; the mailer at labrea bounces back my attempts
to reply directly.]

I've been suffering the same problems (on a cgfour display), none of which
existed on SunOS3.x.  If you find out what's going on, please let me know.

Thanks.

lanning.pa@xerox.com

----- smL

fanty%icsi@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU (Mark Fanty) (08/24/88)

In article <3404@Portia.Stanford.EDU>, cracker@jessica (John Danner) writes:

>We have experienced the following problems after installing
>SUNOS4.0 on a SUN4/260:
>
>1) After exiting X's console window to terminate X we get
>   a series of lines saying "Use logout to logout" and finally
>   you are logged off the machine.
>
>2) xterm -sb causes xterm to dump core.

We had the same problem.  Recompile lib/Xt/TMparse.c without optimization;
scrollbars will work and xfig will startup.

As for the logout, it does not happen when the user is root...
--

    Mark Fanty
    1947 Center Street., Suite 600

    (415) 643-7294
    fanty@icsi.berkeley.edu

CBeekhuis.osbunorth@XEROX.COM (08/25/88)

[I could not respond directly to the original poster]

We found that several pieces of the X distribution broke under 4.0 due to the
optimizer being on.  To fix the xterm -sb bug, turn the optimizer off when
compiling the X Toolkit.

I belive we turned off the optimizer for other pieces as well, but I can't think
of which ones off of the top of my head.  Otherwise our installation on SUNOS4.0
works just fine!

We are using Sun 4/110's running SunOS 4.0.

Chris