[net.news] Article id tektronix.1047 too long

mp (04/07/83)

Someone reading net.ham-radio got this warning message from
readnews when he encountered the article from ucbcad:tektronix!johnbu.
We're running version 2.9.  Is this a message we can safely ignore?
(It printed out the article anyway.)
	Mark

mark (04/07/83)

What's happened is that tektronix has modified their news software so
it doesn't truncate their name to tektroni, and they use the full name
in the article ID.  Recently their sequence number went past 999, so
now their article ID's are 14 characters long.  This bothers 2.9
readnews, which has an array of 14 byte strings for article ID's,
and wants to use the 14th byte for a null terminator.

It's really no big deal.  You will get the warning printed, and it won't
remember the article, so that it might offer it to you again in the
second newsgroup it's in.  (It won't, however, keep offering it to you
in subsequent sessions in the same newsgroup.)  You can safely ignore
the warning.  If you want to up IDSIZE in rfuncs.c to 15 the problem
will go away.  The problem also goes away in 2.10 because there are
no longer any assumptions about the maximum length of message ID's.

If the article ID length goes to 15, however, many A news systems will
be in trouble, because they store the article in a file whose name is
the article ID.

	Mark

donn (04/08/83)

If there are sites which are having trouble with "tektronix.1047" being
too long, imagine what will happen when they receive this little gem:

    From: sdchema!sdcsvax!philabs!cmcl2!floyd!harpo!eagle!mhuxt!mhuxj!presley
    Newsgroups: net.misc
    Title: Re: POGOPHILES
    Date: Thu, 7-Apr-83 15:13:09 EST

    A very well produced fanzine for us Pogophiles is the Okefenokee Star.
    Since they don't have subscriptions, it's a good idea to have a
    standing order for it at your favorite comics store.  Mine's in
    Somerville, NJ.
    --

    	Joe Presley

Looks to me like there is a bug in 2.10 news...

Donn Seeley  UCSD Chemistry Dept. RRCF  ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdchema!donn