[comp.windows.x] Sony widget set available for ftp

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (08/29/88)

A widget set from Sony is now available for anonymous ftp from
expo.lcs.mit.edu (18.30.0.212), as compressed tar file
/contrib/Xsw.tar.Z.  If you can't ftp, never fear, these sources will be
included in R3.

eichin@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Mark W. Eichin) (08/30/88)

RWS>Date: Sun, 28 Aug 88 17:08 EDT
RWS>From: Robert Scheifler <RWS@zermatt.lcs.mit.edu>

RWS>A widget set from Sony is now available for anonymous ftp from
RWS>expo.lcs.mit.edu (18.30.0.212), as compressed tar file
RWS>/contrib/Xsw.tar.Z.  If you can't ftp, never fear, these sources will be
RWS>included in R3.

Well, it assumes Xtk, not Xt; SScroll won't compile under 4.3BSD/Vax
pcc (attempts to assign to a cast; (int)frep = foo is *not* valid...);
SScroll will not compile under gcc 1.26 either (the XtOffset macro is
called `not constant'... SO IS THE X11R3 ONE!!!)

Fixing the 4 assignments was simple, but getting it to actually build
with Xt is failing badly. The examples, when compiled, refer to:

_boxWidgetClass
_clockWidgetClass
_popupWidgetClass
_XtGrayPixmap
_formClassRec
_simpleClassRec

all of which are undefined. Has anyone made progress on actually using
this toolkit under R2? Perhaps the wrong version was put on expo?

				Mark Eichin
			<eichin@athena.mit.edu>
		SIPB Member & Project Athena ``Watchmaker''

% diff SScroll.c SScroll.c~
395c395
<     MinusToZero(W->sscroll.button_len[i]);
---
>     MinusToZero((int)W->sscroll.button_len[i]);
409c409
<     MinusToZero(W->sscroll.bar_len[i]);
---
>     MinusToZero((int)W->sscroll.bar_len[i]);
479c479
<     scrollBtn_callbackList[0].closure = (caddr_t)(ScrollBtnOri|ScrollObj_Btn);
---
>     (int)scrollBtn_callbackList[0].closure |= ScrollBtnOri;
518,519c518
<       scrollBtn_callbackList[0].closure =
<       (caddr_t)(ScrollObj_Btn | ScrollBtnDir | ScrollBtnOri);
---

RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler) (08/30/88)

    Date: Tue, 30 Aug 88 01:36:42 EDT
    From: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@athena.mit.edu>

    Has anyone made progress on actually using
    this toolkit under R2?

I don't know.  It's user contributed code, we didn't try it before
placing it on expo.

    Perhaps the wrong version was put on expo?

I somehow doubt it, but you never know.  I'll forward your message to
someone at Sony.

dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) (08/30/88)

In article <8808300536.AA08895@KREMVAX.MIT.EDU> eichin@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Mark W. Eichin) writes:

   RWS>Date: Sun, 28 Aug 88 17:08 EDT
   RWS>From: Robert Scheifler <RWS@zermatt.lcs.mit.edu>

   RWS>A widget set from Sony is now available for anonymous ftp from
   RWS>expo.lcs.mit.edu (18.30.0.212), as compressed tar file
   RWS>/contrib/Xsw.tar.Z.  If you can't ftp, never fear, these sources will be
   RWS>included in R3.

   Well, it assumes Xtk, not Xt;

Actually, it needs Xaw.

   SScroll won't compile under 4.3BSD/Vax
   pcc (attempts to assign to a cast; (int)frep = foo is *not* valid...);
   SScroll will not compile under gcc 1.26 either (the XtOffset macro is
   called `not constant'... SO IS THE X11R3 ONE!!!)

   Fixing the 4 assignments was simple, but getting it to actually build
   with Xt is failing badly. The examples, when compiled, refer to:

   _boxWidgetClass
   _clockWidgetClass
   _popupWidgetClass
   _XtGrayPixmap
   _formClassRec
   _simpleClassRec

   all of which are undefined. Has anyone made progress on actually using
   this toolkit under R2? Perhaps the wrong version was put on expo?

Ok, here are some hints (are you listening Sony).

1) Edit (in lib) SBitmap.c Swindow.c.  Replace the font 8x16kana with
something else (I used 8x13).

2) Edit SBitmap.h, Make the default bitmap path something reasonable
(This should be a define in the makefile).

3) Edit all makefiles to make TOP whatever you need.

4) compile, you should get as far as smenu, which will die since there
is no popupWidgetClass.

5) Edit SButtons, change xbuttons to sbuttons.  Change
closeBox.bitmapFile: null  to a real bitmap file (null doesn't exist
in examples/bitmaps).  Change
closeBox.highlightBitmapFile: highlight_close_box to a real bitmap
file.  Change resizeButton.bitmapFile: resize_button to a real bitmap
file.  Change smallIcon.bitmapFile: small_icon to a real bitmap file.

6) load SButtons with xrdb -merge (or copy it to your app-defaults).

7) run sbuttons (one down)

8) load SBitmap with xrdb -merge (or copy it to your app-defaults).

9) run sbitmap (two down)

10) load SDialog with xrdb -merge (or copy it to your app-defaults).

11) run sdialog.  This will probably fail after you push the button.

If anyone gets any further (like Sony), could you please post
directions or patches.

--
*  Dana Chee				(201) 829-4488			  *