[comp.windows.x] Background tiles horror in X11r2 cfb

daffy@warwick.UUCP (Steve Hunt) (08/19/88)

System: Sun 3/60 cgfour in colour mode
Software: X11R2, vanilla cfb code

Is there a patch for the background tiling bugs in the cfb code?
The bugs are:-
	total lack of ability to deal with weird width tiles (woman)
	strange effects when running the X logo screensaver, looks
		like a synch problem, but can cause a crash.
	TWM's control gadgets are corrupted

I've looked through the code that bashes background tiles in
cfb, especially the cfbXRotatePixmap stuff which seems to be
the obvious culprit.  The code tries to keep a pre-synchronised
copy of the pixmap ready, but I get the feeling that some parts
of the code don't really agree about this!

Strange pixmaps won't tile because cfbUnnaturalTileFS is broken,
and this is not too hard to fix.  But I can't find a set of
hacks that make all the applications behave normally.

Any ideas?
--
"SCCS - the source code motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
	-- Ken Thompson

-- Steve Hunt -- daffy@warwick.UUCP --

paul@torch.UUCP (Paul Andrews) (08/30/88)

In article <763@ubu.warwick.UUCP> daffy@warwick.UUCP (Steve Hunt) writes:
>System: Sun 3/60 cgfour in colour mode
>Software: X11R2, vanilla cfb code
>
>Is there a patch for the background tiling bugs in the cfb code?

The bugs in this part of the code are many. We have fixed these and many other
problems and added performance enhancments to the colour Sun server. We
are selling Sun binaries for the X System that include these fixes. The
price is #299 (pounds) including hardcopy manuals. For details contact:

Torch Computers
X Technologies
Abberley House
Great Shelford