[comp.windows.x] Xhibition

winston@ics.UUCP (07/12/88)

XUG PRESENTS-  XHIBITION '88  August 22 thru August 25 at MIT, Cambridge, MA

Xhibition '88  is an intensive, 4-Day Conference focused on the X Window
System. Xhibition is an opportunity for developers and decision makers
to investigate the X Window System. Hardware Vendors, Software Vendors,
and Large End-Users will meet one another to share information and concerns.

X Workstations, X Software Products, and X Services will be displayed and
demonstrated.
Classes, Seminars, and Discussions on the X Window System will run throughout
the conference.
There will be technical sessions intended for developers, and strategic
sessions intended for decision makers.  Vendors will present Seminars
on public software as well as proprietary software.

Adobe, Apollo, Apple, Applix, AT&T, Century Software, CMU, Daisy Systems,
Digital Equipment, Digital Press, ETA Systems, Frame, Hewlett-Packard,
Integrated Computer Solutions, Interactive Systems, Interfirm, ITI, IXI, Ltd.,
Jupiter Systems, MIT, Non-Standard Logics, O'Reilly & Assoc., Parallax,
Prentice-Hall, Siemens RTL, Sony Microsystems, Sun, Tektronix, Torch Computers,
Systime Computer, University of New Mexico, UniWare, Visual Information Tech.,
and White Pines Software are among the companies exhibiting and/or giving
presentations.

Courses
Strategic Overview
	A non-technical, yet comprehensive exploration of X intended for
	decision makers needing to stay abreast of current Industry
	trends and developments.
Programing with Xlib
	A programming tutorial introducing developers to Xlib, the
	C Language Interface to X11.
The Xt Toolkit
	An in-depth exploration of Xt Toolkit Functionality and Widget Use.
How to Write a Widget
	An intensive programming tutorial on  Xt Toolkit Widgets.
The Andrew Toolkit
	A high-level description of CMU's Andrew Toolkit.
C++ Tutorial
	A language tutorial describing the various features of C++.
	Examples utilizing X will be provided.
	Familiarity with a programming language is assumed.

Strategic Seminars
==================
The Andrew Toolkit- Strategic View
Future of X
Impact of the 386 Chip on the
  Workstation Market
International Concerns
New Wave
Open Dialogue, Strategic View
Open Look
Role of the MIT X Consortium
TAE Plus
User Interface Design
WISH- An Iconic Unix Interface
Why We Chose X
X Applications for Supercomputers
X3D-PEX
XVision

Technical Seminars
==================

The Andrew Toolkit- Technical View
Client - Window Manager Communication
Distributed Computing Using X
Display PostScript
Fonts
The HP Widget Set
The Image Display List X Toolkit
Image Processing
Implementation Experiences
Implementing X for the 386 Chip
Inter-client Communication
Live Video
Open Dialogue, Technical View
Optimizing the X Server
Portability between Window Systems
Portability of X Clients
Porting to System V
Siemens RTL Window Manager
The Toolkit Intrinsics Question
User Interface Architecture
Using the Resource Manager
X and Supercomputers
X and User Interface Tools for AI

Tuesday night's Keynote Speaker will be from the Open Software Foundation.
Wednesday night's Keynote Speaker will be from AT&T Information Systems.

Registration Information		Non- 		XUG
					Member		Member
Trade Exhibits:			$ 75		$ 50
Seminars and Trade Exhibits:		$300		$250
One Class:				$300		$250
Two Classes:				$475		$425

Deluxe Technical Package:		$595		$545
Registration for Technical Courses, All Seminars, All Discussions,
 All BOFs, Keynote Speakers, Trade Exhibits, Kickoff Party

Deluxe Strategic Package: 		$595		$545
Registration for Strategic Courses, All Seminars, All Discussions,
 All BOFs, Keynote Speakers, Trade Exhibits, Kickoff Party

Note: All course registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Note: After August 1, a $100 Late fee will be applied; $25 for Trade Exhibits

Checks should be made out to Xhibition '88 and sent to;
Xhibition '88,  51 Church Street, Boston, MA 02116

For Hotel Information and Registration Questions, contact
Xhibition '88,  51 Church Street, Boston, MA 02116
617/482-3596
800/843-3263 (outside Massachusetts)

For Information on Exhibiting or Speaking, contact
Aub Harden or Peter Winston
Integrated Computer Solutions, 43-15 L.I.C., NY 11101; 718/361-2811
ics![harden,winston]@buita.bu.edu

See you in August!

ackerman@athena.mit.edu (Mark S. Ackerman) (09/03/88)

Uh, Xhibition has taken a few hits recently, and as one of the tutorial
presenters, I'd like to make a couple of points.  I don't feel like the
flames were made at me, but I'd like to make some general comments.

One, when you teach anything, you've got to decide where to aim.  People
will complain less if you make the material hard.  The people who are
knowledgeable will be happy, and the people who didn't understand
something -- well, they'll be too cowed to complain.

I personally chose not to do that.  I can only speak for myself, as I
didn't attend any of the other tutorials.  I think writing widgets is
easy, but only after a few insights.  I'm much more worried about the
general group of people that have to subclass a widget for some slight
change than the few that have already rewritten the text widget.  So I
designed my tutorial for beginners (whatever that means since you've
got to already know X to write a simple widget).  Maybe I got the
pacing wrong, but better to go a little slow and let everyone keep up.

My point is this:  if you've been programming X for a long time, don't go
to a beginning tutorial.  Jordan, I've certainly seen your name on this
list enough - with enough good questions and comments - to expect that
you'll get much out of a tutorial.  Especially one as impersonal as
that required by the large hall and mobs of people.  Let tutorials be
for beginners.

Also, this suggests that at future shows or conferences (are you
listening, Bob and Peter?), there ought to be at least two tracks --
one for beginners and one for pros.

Two, admittedly the cost to me was quite low, seeing that I'm here at
the Institute anyways, but I appreciated the trade show.  I'm too old
a hand at computers to believe anything I don't see, and this was an
opportunity to see what companies had and what they didn't.  (And what
broke when you used it, and what was so broken that they wouldn't even
let you near it.)

					Mark Ackerman
						(Ack)

Also -- If you want to argue with me about whether X stuff should be
free or people should pay market-rates, well, let's do that off-line
or in News.talk.capitalism or whatever.  I, myself, alternate on the
issue.

jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/03/88)

In article <6936@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> ackerman@athena.mit.edu (Mark S. Ackerman) writes:

>My point is this:  if you've been programming X for a long time, don't go
>to a beginning tutorial.  Jordan, I've certainly seen your name on this
>list enough - with enough good questions and comments - to expect that
>you'll get much out of a tutorial.  Especially one as impersonal as

Actually, strangely enough, Mark's "How to write a widget" tutorial
was the one class I did want to go to. The fact that it became
quickly full (and that I didn't really want to lay out the extra $300
and vacillated too long) were the only things that prevented
me from doing so. As it was, I didn't attend any of the classes
and only had my girlfriend's opinion of the Xlib tutorial (and she
is a beginner) to go on, vis-a-vis the class scene. My major
complaints were with the seminars. I agree with Mark totally
when he says that there should be a division between the novice
and "xpert" classes/seminars/propaganda-sessions at any future
event of this nature.

I do think I would have learned something at the widget tutorial.
I haven't spent that much time using the toolkit.

				- Jordan