[comp.windows.x] How do I change the default editor in xmh ?

pkatz@axion.bt.co.uk (Philip Katz) (09/05/88)

 I am using xmh on a VAXstation running Ultrix.

 How can I change the default editor used for Composing messages etc. ??  I
 have tried altering "Editor" in my .mh_profile, but while mh will pick it
 up, xmh ignores it.

 If I can't change the editor, is there any way of mailing files?  I can't
 figure out how to include one in a message using the default editor.

 Thanks in advance,

 Philip Katz                                         PKatz@axion.bt.co.uk
 British Telecom Research Labs,
 Martlesham Heath,
 Ipswich IP5 7RE
 England                                             +44 473 642682

 "Everytime I eat vegetables, it makes me think of you ... "

--
Philip Katz

swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph R. Swick) (09/08/88)

     Date: 5 Sep 88 10:37:51 GMT
     From: mcvax!ukc!stc!axion!pkatz@uunet.uu.net  (Philip Katz)

      How can I change the default editor used for Composing messages etc. ??

Can't be done.  It's already on our wish-list.

      If I can't change the editor, is there any way of mailing files?  I can't
      figure out how to include one in a message using the default editor.

The default key binding for the insert-file() action is Meta/i.  Try it.

% man xmh
     Meta-I  Insert a file.  If any text is selected, use the
             selected text as the filename.  Otherwise, a box
             will appear in which you can type the desired
             filename.

chet@pirate.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (09/08/88)

In article <841@btnix.axion.bt.co.uk> pkatz@axion.bt.co.uk (Philip Katz) writes:
> I am using xmh on a VAXstation running Ultrix.

> If I can't change the editor, is there any way of mailing files?  I can't
> figure out how to include one in a message using the default editor.
>
> Philip Katz                                         PKatz@axion.bt.co.uk

I have X11r2 on my VAXstation, but if you're running the Dec-supplied X10,
the following should still hold true (according to the Dec documentation).

Looking at the xmh man page, I see the following:

Meta-I	Insert a file.

Since you're on a VAXstation, the "Compose Character" key is your meta key.
Try holding that key down and pressing 'i'.  If you have selected any text,
it will be interpreted as a file name to insert; if not, a little dialog box
will come up and prompt you for a file name.  (I just tried it, and it worked
OK for me; the only thing that you have to worry about is pressing the
"Compose" and 'i' keys at the same time.)

Chet Ramey
chet@pirate.CWRU.EDU

diamant@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) (09/09/88)

>  How can I change the default editor used for Composing messages etc. ??

I don't think you can with xmh.

>  If I can't change the editor, is there any way of mailing files?  I can't
>  figure out how to include one in a message using the default editor.

Meta-i works for insert file.  It pops up a dialog box and asks for a
filename.

John Diamant
Software Development Environments
Hewlett-Packard Co.		ARPA Internet: diamant@hpfclp.sde.hp.com
Fort Collins, CO		UUCP:  {hplabs,hpfcla}!hpfclp!diamant