[comp.windows.x] x11 startup on microvax 2

Erik.Hardy@SEI.CMU.EDU (09/14/88)

anyone out there experienced this problem?

i am running x11r2 on a microvax 2 with a color gpx (8 bit planes). when i
log out, just as x is about to start up again, the screen goes black and
remains unresponsive to any input. it doesn't appear to fully halt; it just
makes the machine apparently dead. we have tried switching out all of the
hardware, including a new back plane. when we put the gpx on a microvax 3, the
same thing happened, but reducing the number of bit planes to 4 seemed to
solve it. the dec engineer can't think of anything else to try in hardware, so
she thinks it must be the software. she says, in fact, that there is a known
bug in x10, in that, when it starts up, it can trash the screen. btw, this
problem occurs intermittently, i.e. there seems to be no pattern as to when
it crashes or not.

has anyone experienced a similar problem?

is it true about the "known bug" with x10? if so, could it be that this bug
wasn't fixed in x11?

thanks in advance,

erik@sei.cmu.edu

yaccity yacc (don't awk back)

yba@arrow.bellcore.com (Mark Levine) (09/16/88)

In article <8809132324.AA01705@di.sei.cmu.edu> Erik.Hardy@SEI.CMU.EDU writes:

>anyone out there experienced this problem?
>
>i am running x11r2 on a microvax 2 with a color gpx (8 bit planes). when i
>log out, just as x is about to start up again, the screen goes black and
>remains unresponsive to any input. it doesn't appear to fully halt; it just

It definitely happens under Ultrix 2.2 from time to time; I have not
yet seen it under 2.3, and only started seeing it after using xroot
to tile the root window with a large image (fullmoon).  Given the
display of random garbage that appears to flash across the screen just
before the lock-out, I would check the software, probably the qdss
device driver, first.  Getting DEC to part with source code for this
can be a wonderful experience -- probably best off just filling out an
SPR.  I would guess it is a resource management problem that results in
absolute garbage being sent to the display.  Ultrix 3.0 is supposed to
include X11/DecWindows as a supported product (90 days from now or so,
but I sure do not speak for DEC), and they might be more willing to
look at it then.

I run Ultrix 2.3 on a Vaxstation II/GPX 8 plane with 11 MB main
memory.  Seems easier to get the problem with 4 MB, and with your
observation about the 4-plane unit, it sounds like it really is a
memory resource management problem.  If you (anyone) can find a way to
positively reproduce the behavior on demand, please let me know.
Currently using X11R2.

I have never seen this on anything except the qdss (GPX).