[comp.windows.x] forwarded mail - arrived without a control file

kane@steinmetz.UUCP (Joseph Kane) (09/18/88)

 This mail message arrived on steinmetz without a control file and is
being forwarded on.

Date: 3 Sep 88 00:56:21 GMT
From: vsi1!daver!athsys!jim@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV  (Jim Becker)
Subject: Re: XRdBitF.c: faster bitmap reading code for libX11.a
Sender: xpert-request@athena.mit.edu
To: xpert@athena.mit.edu

From article <13842@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, by jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard):
> In article <129@tityus.UUCP> jim@athsys.uucp (Jim Becker) writes:
>
> Great. Do the plans for R3 also provide a routine for getting just the bits
> from a bitmap image, so that one can then convert it into a pixmap
> of arbitraty depth and color(s)?
> 				Jordan

	This is the primary reason that I had to originally get into
this code, as it builds you a pixmap rather than letting you get to
the bits. (This was a change that was put in with the X10->X11
changes.)  By cloning this routine, renaming it and modifying the
logic not to create the pixmap from the data you can get what you
want. If you return the "data" pointer instead of a pixmap XID you can
then get at the bits.

	Also, there was a minor bug to this that causes it not to be
reentrant.  The "fstream" variable should be local to the
XReadBitmapFile routine, and passed to the routine NextInt. Otherwise
there could be problems. Otherwise, it seems fine.

	Email me if this is not clear, as I want to keep net clutter
down.

-Jim Becker