[comp.windows.x] Contributed software

cacroft@drls21.mit.EDU (C. A. Croft[Cheryl]) (09/28/88)

Can someone help me with the following issue?

One of the managers at my lab recently discovered PC viruses.  As a result,
we now have somewhat stricter guidelines about acquiring any software.  Alas,
someone noticed that my ftp'ing of contributed software from expo fit
into the forbidden software acquisition category.  Of course, I would hate
to give up access to the contributed software, so here are my questions:

  1)  Is there some obvious reason why particularly nasty behaviour could
      not possibly be exported/imported via source code (other than the
      fact that the perpetrator of same would be lynched by this newsgroup)?

  2)  Can I assure my management that the contributed software on the official
      release tapes is virus-free?

  3)  Failing the first two options, are there certain keywords (or something)
      that one could search for in contributed code which would indicate ill
      intentions somewhat faster than studying each line of code?

My apologies if all of this has been discussed before or belongs in another
newsgroup (if so, perhaps someone could direct me to it).

			Cheryl Croft
			...!convex!drlc1!cacroft

dwm@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Meeks) (09/29/88)

In article <8809272206.AA10295@drls21.sun.com>, cacroft@drls21.mit.EDU (C. A. Croft[Cheryl]) writes:
> Can someone help me with the following issue?
>
> One of the managers at my lab recently discovered PC viruses.  As a result,
>
>   3)  Failing the first two options, are there certain keywords (or something)
>       that one could search for in contributed code which would indicate ill
>       intentions somewhat faster than studying each line of code?
Not with a C program atleast. There are several different ways of hiding ill
intentions and it would take a great deal of time to find those that were
meant to be hiden, even if you are looking for them. However, hiding ill
intentions is a topic outside this news group.

  /Life\            Daniel W. Meeks            Uucp  :  ...[att!]ihlpf!dwm
 /is   a\
/Mountain.\_____
Let's go climbing!  Naperville, Il 60566       ARPA  :  dwm@ihlpf.att.com