[comp.windows.x] HP WIDGETS AVAILABLE NOW

dana@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Dana Laursen) (09/20/88)

    The non-proprietary release of Hewlett-Packard X Widgets is now
    available for anonymous ftp from "hpcvaaz" (15.255.72.15).
    The release includes source and documentation for the HP widget set,
    plus bug-fixed source for X11 release 2 Xt Intrinsics, and widget
    test programs.  This is the same release that will be distributed
    with the X11 R3 tape.

    Here is how to get this software:

        1. Create a directory for the release.
                mkdir hpXwidgets
	        cd hpXwidgets

        2. Start anonymous ftp and change to proper directory.
                ftp 15.255.72.15.
                login anonymous (password anonymous)
                cd pub/hpXwidgets

        3. Copy release files.
                get XwCC.cover
                get XwCC.src.tar.Z
                get XwCC.doc.tar.Z

        4. Terminate ftp.
                bye

	5. Extract release files.
                chmod +x XwCC.cover
                XwCC.cover

    The XwCC.cover file is a script that extracts the release from the
    compressed source and documentation tar files.  After completing
    these steps, refer to the ./README file for additional information.

davem@gonzo.ETA.COM (Dave Marquardt) (09/20/88)

In article <100920007@hpcvlx.HP.COM> dana@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Dana Laursen) writes:
>        3. Copy release files.
>                get XwCC.cover
>                get XwCC.src.tar.Z
>                get XwCC.doc.tar.Z

You might want to use the "binary" command before getting XwCC.src.tar.Z and
XwCC.doc.tar.Z.

	Dave

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (09/21/88)

In article <100920007@hpcvlx.HP.COM> dana@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Dana Laursen) writes:
>    The non-proprietary release of Hewlett-Packard X Widgets is now
>    available for anonymous ftp from "hpcvaaz" (15.255.72.15).

Could you please put this stuff on expo.lcs.mit.edu, with all the
other contrib stuff?  I'm having problems making contact with the host
you mentioned.

When I query hplabs.hp.com (the primary nameserver for hp.com, and
that should know about hpcvaaz.hp.com) about hpcvaaz.hp.com, it tells
me about two MX records for hpcvaaz, but no A (address) records.  When
I query hplabs.hp.com about the address 15.255.72.15, it returns the
expected reverse-address mapping and tells me that the name associated
with that address is hpcvaaz.hp.com.  But I still can't get an address
record back for the name.

Then, when I try to FTP directly to 15.255.72.15, my connections
always time out, as if the host were down, or perhaps there are bad
routing problems betwixt hither and yon.

In short, I'd really appreciate it if you could put this new release
on a somewhat better-known system, that would be easier to get to.
Thank you!

Also, how does this release relate to the stuff in expo:contrib/Xhp?
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
If elected, Zippy pledges to each and every American
 a 55-year-old houseboy...

mtr@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) (09/21/88)

In article <22188@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
> In article <100920007@hpcvlx.HP.COM> dana@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Dana Laursen) writes:
> >    The non-proprietary release of Hewlett-Packard X Widgets is now
> >    available for anonymous ftp from "hpcvaaz" (15.255.72.15).
>
> Could you please put this stuff on expo.lcs.mit.edu, with all the
> other contrib stuff?  I'm having problems making contact with the host
> you mentioned.

I put them out on expo:contrib/XwCC.*.  I assume since they are going
to be included with R3 that HP will have no problems with that.

> Also, how does this release relate to the stuff in expo:contrib/Xhp?

I would like to know the same.  I checked the dates and sizes against the
XwCC stuff.  It looks like a completly different version (maybe I should
look at the contents?) or a release in a more bugless state?

mtr

ccaw001@UTADNX.CC.UTEXAS.EDU ("Rick Watson") (09/22/88)

Since I have little luck in reaching HP directly:

Re the latest release of the HP widgets:

The files in the doc directory seem (to me) to be pretty messed up.
Here's an example from ch04.n.  Note on the second line, sequences like
"T^Ht"  'Capital T' overstruck with 'small t'.  Once again I'll urge
HP to put the nroff sources back into the distribution.

       4.4.2  _^HK_^He_^Hy_^Hb_^Ho_^Ha_^Hr_^Hd__^HT_^Hr_^Ha_ [...]

       T^Hth^Hhe^Hrom^Hue^Hgn^Hhuts^Hhy^Hest^Hue^Hsm^He p^Hor [...]

Rick Watson
University of Texas at Austin
watson@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu

bob@deep-thought.prime.com (09/23/88)

The README file claims the HP Widget set compiled and ran on a Sun.
Has anyone been able to get it to work on *their* Sun?  When making
in the test directory on my 3/50 running 4.0 I get:

ld: Undefined symbol
   __mulsf3
   __divsf3
   __fixdfsi
   __floatsidf
   __extendsfdf2
   __truncdfsf2
*** Error code 1

--bob pellegrino
Prime Computer, Inc.

bob@deep-thought.prime.com

jkh@pcsbst.UUCP (Jordan K. Hubbard) (09/24/88)

I'd be interested in hearing from people about their experiences with
this package. My first impression of the HP widgets (on the beta R3 tape)
has not been favorable. For one, the pulldown menus have been removed with
a dull instrument, leaving several references still around that will bomb
until you remove them. The applications I did get to compile are rather
uh.. interesting. Upon being initially brought up (with or without a window
manager running), their windows begin resizing rapidly as the various
widgets duke it out for space. Geometry management is very strange, to say
the least. Widgets also tend to highlight at odd times, and not consistantly
at that (sometimes they will, sometimes they won't). The valuator "thumbs"
do not always come up the same size. Sometimes they are rectangular, sometimes
square. The "pane" widgets (I don't know what HP calls them) are difficult
to use and often like to move in the direction opposite to that being
dragged; I still haven't figure them out.

On the plus side, the scrollbars look nicer. Little arrows and whatnot.
Scrolling text widgets are faster and have a better "feel", though one is
advised not to play with them too long as they get confused and start
displaying only pieces of characters.

On the whole, this is a rather surprising release from HP. Considering the
track record they have for caution, I have to assume that the beta
was almost forcibly extracted from the engineers in charge. I'd be
interested in how many changes are planned [by HP] between now and
the official R3 release. Anyone from HP listening who cares to comment?

					Jordan Hubbard
					PCS Computer Systeme GmbH
					uunet!unido!pcsbst!jkh

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (10/01/88)

In article <34700001@deep-thought> bob@deep-thought.prime.com writes:
>The README file claims the HP Widget set compiled and ran on a Sun.
>Has anyone been able to get it to work on *their* Sun?

We have the HP widgets (XwCC) mostly running on our Sun 386i (SunOS
4.0).  I think we had to hack the makefiles a little to remove the HP
dependencies, but there were no other problems.  Most of the demos work
as advertised.  Some of them seem to go into infinite geometry
negotiation loops, infinitely resizing themselves.

I wrote a couple of test programs, using only the basic composite
widgets.  There are quite a few more widgets in XwCC than in the Xaw
library.  SunView programmers will like the "valuator" widget which is
similar to the SunView integer slider and the "workspace" widget whch
is similar to the SunView canvas (allowing you to quickly hack Xlib
code into Xt programs).  Also, many of the widgets have more callbacks
that the equivalent Xaw widgets.  For example, the command button
widget has button up and button down callbacks.

What do other people think about this widget set?  I think it was
nice of HP to contribute it and hope that they continue to support it
in future releases of X.

Ken Lee
Daisy Systems Corp., Interactive Graphics Tools Dept.
--
uucp:  {ames!atari, ucbvax!sgi, pyramid, uunet}!daisy!klee
arpanet:  daisy!klee@sgi.com or daisy!klee@uunet.uu.net

I'm not a tourist, I was born in California.

dana@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Dana Laursen) (10/01/88)

	Here is a followup on the responses to my original posting.
	My comments follow excerpts from the responses.

----------------
From: davem@gonzo.ETound the world, using telegraphy, voice,
teleprinting, television, and facsimile.  They can use any of 21 different
frequency bands.  Some hams design and build their own equipment or
experiment with ways to refine radio transmissions.  Generally, amateur radio
is considered a hobby; specifically, the Amateur Radio Service is a
voluntary, disciplined communications service guided by five traditional
objectives:

	1) To provide emergency or public service communications when normal
	communications are disrupted;

	2) to advance the state of the radio art;

	3) to improve individual skills in radio operation;

	4) to provide a reserve pool of qualified radio operators and
	technicians; and

	5) to promote international goodwill.

	Incidentally, an application of the first principle is the Radio
Amateur Civil Emergency Service (3 Sep 1988 15:11:00 GMT

Has anyone been able to get it to work on *their* Sun?  When making
in the test directory on my 3/50 running 4.0 I get:
ld: Undefined symbol...

	The tests in the beta release were put in at the last minute,
	and not fully tested on other platforms.  We were able to build
	everything in the current release on our Sun 3/260.
	Please send details if you are still having difficulties.

----------------
From: jkh@pcsbst.UUCP (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 1988 16:54:00 GMT

... the pulldown menus have been removed with
a dull instrument, leaving several references still around that will bomb
until you remove them.

	Pulldown menus were removed from the non-proprietary release
	of HP X Widgets due to legal ramifications of the unresolved
	HP/MicroSoft/Apple litigations.  There were bogus includes for
	Pulldown.h and a couple other files in some of the test programs
	in the beta release.  This problem has been corrected.

The applications I did get to compile are rather
uh.. interesting. Upon being initially brought up (with or without a window
manager running), their windows begin resizing rapidly as the various
widgets duke it out for space. Geometry management is very strange, to say
the least. Widgets also tend to highlight at odd times...

	These "applications" are actually test programs generated to
	verify specific aspects of geometry management, highlighting
	and so forth.

... I'd be interested in how many changes are planned [by HP] between now and
the official R3 release. Anyone from HP listening who cares to comment?

	The current distribution, which is also the official R3 release,
	includes many bugfixes that were not in the beta release, and
	corrects other problems noted above.

----------------

	We appreciate your comments, suggestions, questions, and feedback
	about problems with HP X Widgets code and documentation.

	You can communicate with us directly by sending mail to:

		widgets%hpcvlx@hplabs.hp.com

	Dana Laursen

#! rnews 878
From: harry@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Harry Phinney)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles
Subject: Re: Bike race to be held with Del Mar IMSA race
Date: 30 Sep 88 21:10:35 GMT

>    There are lots of good race tracks around - I've often wondered why
> they don't run bicycle races on them.
> Thomas A. Fine

"They" do sometimes run bicycle races on motor racing tracks.  There is
a weekly Tuesday-night race at Portland International Raceway, and I
remember a couple of races (including some of the classes at nationals
I think) being run at Seattle I.R.  These do provide very good bicycle
racing courses with nearly perfect traffic control.

Harry Phinney
#! rnews 644
From: gjw@hpc

mtr@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) (10/01/88)

In article <100920011@hpcvlx.HP.COM>, dana@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Dana Laursen) writes:
> From: bob@deep-thought.prime.com
> Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1988 15:11:00 GMT
>
> Has anyone been able to get it to work on *their* Sun?  When making
> in the test directory on my 3/50 running 4.0 I get:
> ld: Undefined symbol...
>
> 	The tests in the beta release were put in at the last minute,
> 	and not fully tested on other platforms.  We were able to build
> 	everything in the current release on our Sun 3/260.
> 	Please send details if you are still having difficulties.

I had no problems at all bringing up the widget set on our Suns.
If you are still having problems, maybe you can post them again
(I must have missed the first article)

As far as the geometry managment, I got a kick out of it.  It was kinda cool
to watch.  Start up like three of them and try and count how many times
they resize.  Its a great way to spend time when your brain is too fried
to work. (like everytime the boss wants you at work at 9am!)

mtr