[comp.windows.x] live video window under X

hagens@CS.WISC.EDU (10/03/88)

I heard a rumor that someone demoed a system at xhibition that featured
a window that displayed a real-time video signal. Does anyone have
information about this? What sort of special hardware/software is
required. Please repond directly to me.

Thanks,

Rob Hagens
UW Madison Computer Science Dept.

devon@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM (10/04/88)

It was Parallax that was demoing the live video system.  The system
uses Interactive Systems' 386/ix operating system with Interactive's
X11 server which has specific extensions for the live video.  The
current "video card" that drives the monitor and accepts the video
signal is actually a box with its own power supply that sits on top
of the 386 pc and costs about $8000.  So its really a video processing
system with a 386 cpu as a peripheral.  There is also a VME bus version
of this (4 board set), but I don't know of any other servers which have
the live video enhancements.

devon@SSD.HARRIS.COM

yba@arrow.bellcore.com (Mark Levine) (10/05/88)

Parallax Graphics (2500 Condensa St, Santa Clara, CA 408-727-2220) also
makes 1280 graphics processors (with video) for the Qbus (Vax) and there
are servers on the IBM RT (ACIS) and Vax (Ultrix) as well as the Sun/VME
and 386 boxes you mention.  The system with X is in use at MIT Project
Athena and here at Bellcore, and has been shown at SIGGraph as well.  There
is a group putting together an X protocol extension for video.  Parallax
also does NEWS.

[I am not a spokesman for any of these organizations -- just a PSA.]

Eleazor bar Shimon, once and future Carolingian
yba@sabre.bellcore.com

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (10/07/88)

In article <146700001@hcx1> devon@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:
>It was Parallax that was demoing the live video system.  The system
>uses Interactive Systems' 386/ix operating system with Interactive's
>X11 server which has specific extensions for the live video.  The
>current "video card" that drives the monitor and accepts the video
>signal is actually a box with its own power supply that sits on top
>of the 386 pc and costs about $8000.  So its really a video processing
>system with a 386 cpu as a peripheral.  There is also a VME bus version
>of this (4 board set), but I don't know of any other servers which have
>the live video enhancements.

Dale Luck of GfxBase Inc. (or Boing Inc. or whatever) was at the
Xhibition demonstrating X11 for the Amiga.  One of his systems had the
genlock attachment and was running live video underneath the root
window.

This was pretty amusing as his booth was right next to the one
Parallax had.