[comp.windows.x] X driver for HP 350 SRX

vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) (09/30/88)

I've started learning about X windows by taking the distribution tape for
X11R2 and building a system for an HP 9000/350 with an SRX (high speed
graphics board for solids rendering).

I got it to sorta work but I have a few problems which I hope someone can help
me with.

	*	The cursor image is occasionally ``dropped'' onto the display
		when the real cursor moves on.

	*	The tracking is very slow. When the processor is busy, updates
		to the cursor position are very intermittent.

	*	The general speed of any graphics operations is slow.

	*	The full 24 bits per pixel isn't supported, only 8 bpp.

I think that they are all related to the driver for the 350 SRX.

So, does anyone have an improved driver for a 350 SRX that is *quick* and
supports the full colour pixels or will I have to wait until HP officially
release X11R2 to their customers (to find out if it is any better).

Since I'm asking about drivers, is there a driver available for the 319?

		vic
--
Victor Gavin						Zengrange Limited
vic@zen.co.uk						Greenfield Road

fish@trout.cis.ohio-state.edu (Keith Fish) (10/03/88)

> So, does anyone have an improved driver for a 350 SRX that is *quick* and
> supports the full colour pixels or will I have to wait until HP officially
> release X11R2 to their customers (to find out if it is any better).
> Since I'm asking about drivers, is there a driver available for the 319?
>

> 	vic
When was the last time you checked with HP?  Their X11 product (with most of
the performance problems and bugs already fixed) may already be out or is
due to ship any day.  I think it includes support for the displays associated
with the 319 (SRX and CH) no matter what 300 SPU you are using.  As far as
supporting all 24-bits on an SRX, I don't know that it does -- it probably
only supports 8 bits.  Most folk running X on an SRX have the X environment
in the overlay planes, and use Starbase to take advantage of the speed/color
of the 24-bit graphics functionality.

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) (10/04/88)

In article <23272@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, fish@trout.cis.ohio-state.edu (Keith Fish) writes:

> with the 319 (SRX and CH) no matter what 300 SPU you are using.  As far as
> supporting all 24-bits on an SRX, I don't know that it does -- it probably
> only supports 8 bits.  Most folk running X on an SRX have the X environment

Version 11 is not out yet.  On Version 10, you can set up the workstation
to either use the foreground planes or the entire SRX graphics space.  You
can set up both implementations by making screen 0 be the full 24 SRX bits
and screen 1 be the 8 bit overlay, switching between the two with the DISPLAY
environment variable.  If you just want to do easier 3D stuff (no shading
or other nifty things) or 2D in an X window, there is a Starbase graphics
interface to X provided that works just fine.  Version 11 should be out
very soon for HP, but you need 6.1 (.2?) of HP-UX to run it, so the beta-
release I charmed my salesman out of could not be run.  I don't see why HP
should mess their X up now, so expect a very good implementation.  Now if I
can figure out how to make my background color stop being a random color...

Tony Burzio          * Yeh, so XTERM does a TEK 4014 window, so what?
Martin Marietta Labs * When's the last time you used a 4014? How about color?

raveling@vaxb.isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (10/06/88)

In article <1408@zen.UUCP> vic@zen.UUCP (Victor Gavin) writes:

>I've started learning about X windows by taking the distribution tape for
>X11R2 and building a system for an HP 9000/350 with an SRX (high speed
>graphics board for solids rendering).
>
>I got it to sorta work but I have a few problems which I hope someone can help
>me with. ...
>
>So, does anyone have an improved driver for a 350 SRX that is *quick* and
>supports the full colour pixels or will I have to wait until HP officially
>release X11R2 to their customers (to find out if it is any better).

	We've given X11R2 some token exercise on a 350 SRX, and
	haven't noticed problems with "dropped" cursors, slow tracking,
	or pathologically slow graphics speed.  If those problems
	existed in the original distribution they may have been
	fixed in updates.  We didn't look for anything beyond 8-bit
	color maps; just having any Renaissance support was a bonus,
	since HP (in January) had announced it wouldn't be ready
	for Release 2.

	We haven't exercised X11R2 much because the server from
	MIT sources appears to be too fragile for routine service.
	We're betting that either the X11R2 product from HP or X11R3
	from MIT will be mature enough to adopt, and both are due
	"any day now".

---------------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@vaxb.isi.edu

dpb@hpak.UUCP (10/06/88)

>	*	The cursor image is occasionally ``dropped'' onto the display
>		when the real cursor moves on.

Is your SRX a *really* early version?  I seem to recall a firmware bug that caused
a similar problem, but that was shortly after it came out. (It may have even been
fixed before the official release, I was an internal customer at the time).

>	*	The full 24 bits per pixel isn't supported, only 8 bpp.

8 bpp was the closest match to the existing R2 cfb code;  full 24 bit support
would have required some real work.

> Version 11 is not out yet.  On Version 10, you can set up the workstation
> to either use the foreground planes or the entire SRX graphics space. ...

Maybe not out yet from HP, but on the R2 distribution, it looks like there
is code there to drive the SRX. (ddx/hp/cfb/ren/*).

   Don Bennett           (408)433-3311
   dpb%frame@sun.com      or, sun!frame!dpb
   Frame Technology

harry@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Harry Phinney) (10/07/88)

> Version 11 is not out yet.

It has been released to manufacturing, although I don't know when customers
will actually receive tapes.

> On Version 10, you can set up the workstation
> to either use the foreground planes or the entire SRX graphics space.  You
> can set up both implementations by making screen 0 be the full 24 SRX bits

This isn't quite true.  Our X10 implementation (like our X11) only uses
8 bits of the "image planes".  Its does not (nor will our initial X11
server) allow full 24-bit windows.

> Version 11 should be out
> very soon for HP, but you need 6.1 (.2?) of HP-UX to run it
> Tony Burzio          * Yeh, so XTERM does a TEK 4014 window, so what?

This is true.  Our X11 will require HP-UX 6.2.
release I charmed my salesman out of could not be run.  I don't see why HP
should mess their X up now, so expect a very good implementation.  Now if I
can figure out how to make my background color stop being a random color...

Harry Phinney