[comp.windows.x] X-Windows terminal from Wyse ?

mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) (09/26/88)

I've heard that Wyse may be planning to introduce an X-Windows
terminal with built-in Ethernet soon.  Costs around $3000.

Does anyone have any information on this ?

Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.yorku.ca
York University, North York, Ontario,		uunet!mnetor!yunexus!ists!mike
CANADA M3J 1P3					+1 (416) 736-5611

casey@admin.cognet.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) (09/28/88)

In article <215@ists> mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) writes:
> I've heard that Wyse may be planning to introduce an X-Windows terminal
> with built-in Ethernet soon.  Costs around $3000.  Does anyone have any
> information on this ?

  I've heard rumors of some X terminals also and likewise would be
interested in any solid reports.  However, they better come in under $3K
or they're looking at a product that just isn't going to sell.  (Any
manufacturers listening?)

  $3K is just too close to the price of certain work stations, and with
the possibility of being able to run X on your favorite PC just seemingly
around the corner ...  I would say that for a product like an X terminal
to succeed, it would have to come in at $1500 or below.  (Well under the
price of your favorite PC/workstation + X package.)  This price may well
be impossible to hit given the amount of hardware needed for such a beast.

Casey

milliken@bbn.com (Walter Milliken) (09/28/88)

In article <16248@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, casey@admin (Casey Leedom) writes:
>In article <215@ists> mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) writes:
>> I've heard that Wyse may be planning to introduce an X-Windows terminal
>> with built-in Ethernet soon.  Costs around $3000.  Does anyone have any
>> information on this ?
>
>  I've heard rumors of some X terminals also and likewise would be
>interested in any solid reports.  However, they better come in under $3K
>or they're looking at a product that just isn't going to sell.  (Any
>manufacturers listening?)

I don't know anything about a Wyse terminal, but Visual just gave us a
demo yesterday.  Their terminal lists for $1995, and looks fairly
good.  It did evidence a few minor display bugs, however.  They have a
rather nice way of handling fonts (it can get them through NFS or a
special font server they supply to run under Unix).  The screen is
a bit small (14", 1024x800), and they currently use an interlaced
monitor, which flickers visibly with some bitmaps.  Performance is
better than a Sun 3/50 running the souped-up R2 server (maybe twice as
fast) -- not amazingly fast, but good enough to be usable.  The
terminal can run over SLIP (up to 38kbaud) as well as thin- and
thick-wire Ethernet.  The terminal can also run as a conventional
VT100-style ASCII terminal running TCP/IP telnet over the Ethernet.

The Visual people said a new software release was in the works, and
that they would shortly have a non-interlaced monitor version of the
terminal (which I would definitely prefer).  If the next software
release fixes the few bugs I saw, I'd say this terminal is a good buy.
It's not quite like having a Sun 3/50-sized screen, but it should be
reasonable as an X server for the cost-conscious.

---Walter

pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul Anderson) (09/29/88)

In article <16248@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> casey@cs.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) writes:
>In article <215@ists> mike@ists.yorku.ca (Mike Clarkson) writes:
>> I've heard that Wyse may be planning to introduce an X-Windows terminal
>> with built-in Ethernet soon.  Costs around $3000.  Does anyone have any
>> information on this ?
>  $3K is just too close to the price of certain work stations, and with
>the possibility of being able to run X on your favorite PC just seemingly
>around the corner ...

Ummm... this is an interesting point. Here at Sales Technologies, we
have a number of people all equipped with PC's and mice and EGAs...
We are going to be getting into X in a big way during the next year.
We also have Phil Karn's source for his PC TCP/IP package and GSS
drivers for EGA's.  (If you don't know the name, Mr. Karn can be
found frequenting the ham-radio.packet group. The TCP code is used
in Amateur Radio Packet Networks.) I suspect that a long weekend hack
(or 3) is going to result in a PC-XTerminal.  As a (usenet) group,
we are probably far closer to having an XTerminal than industrial
sources are.  The big and only question that I have is "Can I get
it to fit in 640k?" (The classic 10 pounds of guana (no offense
intended) in a 6 pound bag]  :-)  :-)

--
Paul Anderson                                         decvax!gatech!stiatl!pda
Sales Technologies, Inc

dob@xpiinc.UU.NET (David O. Bundy) (09/30/88)

In article <30215@bbn.COM> milliken@bbn.com (Walter Milliken) writes:
>I don't know anything about a Wyse terminal, but Visual just gave us a
>demo yesterday.  Their terminal lists for $1995, and looks fairly
>good.  It did evidence a few minor display bugs, however.  They have a
>rather nice way of handling fonts (it can get them through NFS or a
>special font server they supply to run under Unix).......
>
>---Walter

	I thought I should reply to clarify the current state of visual's
X-terminal.  It is officially called the "Visual 640 X Display Station"
or as we call it the XDS.  Just so you know who the following comments are
comming from I am the project leader for the software development of the XDS
for visual.  This is not a sell pitch put just meant to clarify the position
of the software being discussed.

	We are currently in the BETA phase cycle for the 640 XDS.  We have
been showing it since Atlanta COMDEX in May.  We were also at USENIX,
UniForum, and X'hibition.  We have been going through a rigorous BETA test
phase connecting it to many vendors machines (DEC, IBM, SUN, MIPS,
Sequent, HP, Apollo, Encore ......) and running many different applications
(Torch, Uniware and Non Standard Logics at X'hibition).

	The XDS's internal values for the colors white and black are
opposite than the majority of machines running X and this shows up problems
with applications that don't deal with white and black correctly (eg. using
functions like XOR on black and white give undeterministic results).  These
are the kinds of problems we have seen with the BETA phase with little or
none with our server.

	We have more releases before we end our BETA phase in November and
will have fixed any incompatibilities in our server by then and will be fully
X.V11R3 compatible (we are currently X.V11R2++).

	This product is meant to be the lowest cost X server platform with
the screen density (1024 x 800), performance, and memory (1-4 meg)
that people need to run X.  The pricing will fit it in the recommended range
between existing terminals and diskless workstations/PC's.

	For more information about this product or future products you
should contact:
			VISUAL Technology
			1703 Middlesex St.
			Lowell, MA 01851
			(506) 459-4903
			1-800-VISUAL-C

Dave

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (10/08/88)

In article <16248@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> casey@cs.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) writes:
>  $3K is just too close to the price of certain work stations, and with
>the possibility of being able to run X on your favorite PC just seemingly
>around the corner ...

Well, you can buy an X server for PC-DOS now from Locus...  They'll have
to do some more work on it, though, before it becomes really usable.

The problem is, you need a couple-thousand-dollar PC (and probably an
$500-600 ethernet card), which, if you don't happen to *have* a PC,
makes an X terminal pretty attractive.

			Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!fai!ronc -or- ronc@fai.com

      Calling all Fujitsu Usenet sites!  Contact fai!ronc or
      ronc@fai.com to establish uucp connection.