[comp.windows.x] X11 on RT with AIX?

whm@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) (09/17/88)

Does anybody know if X11R2 will work on an IBM RT running AIX 2.2?  (Anybody
tried it?)

I am aware of 4.3 BSD for the RT, but that's not an option for us at the
moment.
Bill Mitchell				whm@sunquest.com
Sunquest Information Systems		sunquest!whm@arizona.edu
Tucson, AZ 				{arizona,uunet}!sunquest!whm
602-885-7700

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (09/18/88)

In article <148@sunquest.UUCP> whm@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>Does anybody know if X11R2 will work on an IBM RT running AIX 2.2?  (Anybody
>tried it?)
>
>I am aware of 4.3 BSD for the RT, but that's not an option for us at the
>moment.

I've had the extreme displeasure of using an IBM RT running AIX and
X11R2.  Ironically, the server is "fast" (in comparison to my sun3-110's
color server), but that's about all I can say that's good about it.

The screen (hardware) hurts my eyes so much that I had to rlogin to
the workstation from another window to do most editing and stuff...
That editorialzed comment, which had nothing to do with X11, can be
ignored.

Many things don't work -- clipping, for one.  (details left out)
The termcap entry for xterm is really bad -- you always have reverse
video blocks hanging around and you can never see the where the cursor
is because it's an underscore and doesn't blink (I like solid black
cursors that don't blink).  There is lots of screen dust from backspacing
etc...

Programs I've written (including some on expo: xwatch, qix, dclock)
all compile fine, but "dclock" seems to hang X -- you have to kill
the server and restart.  I have no idea why it's hanging, but I've
had reports that dclock works fine for IBM-RT's running non-AIX and
non-IBM version of X -- note: I was told that IBM did this particular
version of X11R2; I have no idea about the validity of that statement.
Xwatch and qix both work (altho qix doesn't run in color correctly,
but that's due to my inexperience in dealing with color and X).

I've taken some other programs from the net and some work ok, but I
haven't investigated why others don't -- I don't have the time to
look into the ones that don't work.

There doesn't appear to be any "default" toolkit, so you have to bring
one over yourself.  I compiled the athena widgets, but things had to
change some things.  I didn't find the changes to be bothersome, but
someone who doesn't know much about unix or makefiles will have problems.

The real reason I'm using this machine is to test out the toolkit that
I'm writing for a particular client (who shall remain nameless).  My
particular toolkit is similar to the athena toolkit, but has different
bells and whistles.  Anyway, it compiles ok, but there seems to be a
problem with accessing fonts correctly.  That is to say, if I have a
widget which uses a font and tries to do a simple command like
XTextWidth() of a string in a particular font, I get a segfault in that
function whereas the same code works on other machines.  I use that
function as an example, but I've had problems with other font-based
functions.  What confuses me is that the athena widgets (of which I've
only tested a handful) which use text seem to work ok.

I don't particularly like system-v systems and find their environment
very difficult to use ("whaddya mean I can't move a directory to '..'!?")
so if the original question was intended to determine whether or not to
get the IBM-RT, I advise looking into the 4.3 stuff first -- if that's
"not an option" for you, I strongly urge you to make it an option.  If
your requirement is to use system V, then I urge you to choose another
hardware vendor.

If anyone has comments or questions about anything I've said here, please
contact me at island!argv@sun.com

Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (09/18/88)

In article <148@sunquest.UUCP> whm@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>Does anybody know if X11R2 will work on an IBM RT running AIX 2.2?  (Anybody
>tried it?)

The servers for the RT on the MIT distribution tape are supposed to be
for 4.3 (although I've seen reports that there are problems with them).
They definitely don't work with AIX.  The IBM group that works on 4.3
for the RT was at Xhibition, and I talked to a guy there for a while.
He said that it wouldn't be too hard to convert those servers to AIX,
since the displays are the same.  The major difference is getting the
keyboard and mouse input.  I don't have time to look at this right now,
though, so I can't say any more about it.

IBM has announced what they call X release 2.1, which is based on V11
(their X release 1.1 was V10 based).  I've had preliminary copies of
this for about 6 weeks, and it is getting pretty good, although they
still have a way to go, specifically in the are of event handling for
all the events that were added in V11.  This is especially noticeable
when trying to use the more sophisticated of the V11 window managers.
I'm currently using twm, but I had to make one minor change to it in
for the RT.  I've tried Siemens RTL, and actually got it to compile
and run but no other clients will run with it, which sort of reduces
the usefulness of the system...  I also tried awm, and couldn't even
get it to start up, but I suspect that was more my falut that awm's,
and I didn't have the time to figure out all the setup configuration
options.

The announced release date for AIX X release 2.1 is this month, and
so far IBM has done quite well in meeting their announced dates -
unlike most of the other workstation vendors.  So by the end of the
month it should be possible to get V11 for AIX from IBM, at least
in America.  Here in Europe we generally have to wait 6 weeks or
so from the rellease date before it finally shows up.  Oh, the price
is right, too - a couple of hundred dollars or so.

jw

ajdenner@athena.mit.edu (Alexander J Denner) (09/19/88)

	I saw a rather extensive demo of the IBM RT with AIX and X11.
The IBM salespeople were impressive in that they knew how to use the system.
During their demo, everything worked quickly and flawlessly.  However,
when I asked to play with the system, I hungup the system with an xterm
command!  They said that I entered it wrong, but it still should not lockup.
The RT is a really nice machine to use, but they have not worked the bugs out
of the software yet.  Maybe someday.......

Alexander J. Denner			ajdenner@athena.mit.edu
234 Baker House				mit-eddie!mit-athena!ajdenner
342 Memorial Drive
Cambridge, MA 02139

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (09/21/88)

Listen, I think people are really being unfair to the RT/PC in this
discussion.  I do not disagree with what has been said; in fact, I
have seen virtually all of the problems that Dan Heller described in
his posting, and I know that Dan is a careful and honest person, so
I have no doubt that everything he said was correct.  Likewise, the
posting from Alexander Denner about xterm; I have never seen an xterm
hang the system, but I can crash xterm on my RT anytime I want, with
any of several different commands.

The problem is that we are all commenting on a *BETA* release of V11
from IBM, and I for one expect to find problems like this in beta
software.  The important fact, for me, is that IBM is willing to send
this beta software out, apparently to quite a few people, and that it
appears that they will meet their announced delivery of a real release
of V11 this month.  The beta version is already very fast, as everyone
has commented on, and I think it is pretty good all things considered;
if they have worked out these problems over the past 6 weeks or so since
the last beta release, then the full release should be a very solid
piece of software.  In fact, the most significant problems with the
beta release are in the area of color support.  Dan didn't explicity
say so, but I'm sure that the problems he described were on a color
display; I use a monochrome display every day, and I don't have any
of the problems he described.  I taught an X class last week using
some systems with color displays, and I would agree that the state
of things on those machines was pretty dismal.

Our company started looking to buy some new workstations at the first
of this year.  We talked extensively to DEC, HP, Sun and IBM.  One of
the things we were careful to ask each one was when they would be
delivering X.V11.  DEC, Sun and HP all three said either May or June,
and IBM said September.  Well, it's now September; the last I heard,
you could get a beta V11 release from HP, DEC had finally announced
their V11 release but no one had seen the tapes yet, and Sun was still
trying to figure out how to finish the NeWS/X server.  I would think
that it would be fair to wait and compare the official releases from
all four before engaging in a lot of IBM-bashing.

By the way, you can be sure that if the final release from IBM has
many (any) of the same bugs as these beta releases, I will be heard
screaming as loud as anyone about it.

jw

hkbirke@mit-amt (Hal Birkeland) (09/21/88)

In article <478@pan.UUCP> jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) writes:
>In article <148@sunquest.UUCP> whm@sunquest.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) writes:
>>Does anybody know if X11R2 will work on an IBM RT running AIX 2.2?  (Anybody
>>tried it?)
>
>The servers for the RT on the MIT distribution tape are supposed to be
>for 4.3 (although I've seen reports that there are problems with them).
>They definitely don't work with AIX.  The IBM group that works on 4.3
>for the RT was at Xhibition, and I talked to a guy there for a while.
>He said that it wouldn't be too hard to convert those servers to AIX,
>since the displays are the same. ...
>The announced release date for AIX X release 2.1 is this month ...
>
>jw

X11R2 -- I was unable to get it to run under ACIS 4.3. The server would
         seg fault when trying to stipple the background of my MegaPel.
         Hopefully, the new ACIS due out at the end of the month will
         fix this.

X and AIX --
	 The IBM demos held at MIT for two recent weeks of X were on an
	 APC RT running AIX 2.2.0. Unfortunately, it was X10R4 (severly
	 tweaked for performance) and not X11. As it was, the demo was
         very impressive as the server was fast (nearly as fast as my
	 uVax II/GPX and faster than our uVax II/Parallax).  As jw said,
         X11 is due out for both AIX and ACIS in the immediate future...
         Happy windowing...

-- hal

shaig@humus.huji.ac.il (Shai Guday) (09/30/88)

In article <148@sunquest.UUCP> whm@sunquest.BITNET writes:
%Does anybody know if X11R2 will work on an IBM RT running AIX 2.2?  (Anybody
%tried it?)
%

I know of one version running at IBM Tel-Aviv. I am supposed to have it installed next week. Will be happy to let you know the results afterwards.

Shai Guday
Department of Computer Science, Givat Ram
Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel
Bitnet: shaig@hujics.Huji.ac.il

ellis@osf.ORG (10/06/88)

   I've tried Siemens RTL, and actually got it to compile
  and run but no other clients will run with it, which sort of reduces
  the usefulness of the system...

What kind of problems did you have with other clients?
We've run the usual clients (xterm, xclock, etc.)
with no problem.   I've seen it run on Suns and Apollos,
so I wonder why there should be a problem with the RT.

Ellis Cohen
ellis@osf.org

jw@pan.UUCP (Jamie Watson) (10/11/88)

In article <8810061652.AA02172@grumpf.osf.org> ellis@osf.ORG writes:

>   I've tried Siemens RTL, and actually got it to compile
>  and run but no other clients will run with it, which sort of reduces
>  the usefulness of the system...
>
>What kind of problems did you have with other clients?

First, let me state very clearly, I am running a beta release of X.V11
from IBM for AIX, and I believe very strongly that the problems I had
with RTL are much more likely due to bugs in this server than to bugs
in RTL.  I didn't intend for my comments to be interpreted as any kind
of criticism of RTL, and I hope that no one interpreted them as such.

>We've run the usual clients (xterm, xclock, etc.)
>with no problem.   I've seen it run on Suns and Apollos,

So have I; I stopped by the booth at Xhibition for quite a while, and I
was very impressed by what I saw actually running on a Sun.  In fact, it
was this favorable impression that motivated me to even try to bring up
RTL on my RT/PC.

>so I wonder why there should be a problem with the RT.

The beta X11 server from IBM seems to be lacking in a number of areas
that are specific to X11.  I know that sounds silly, but as I don't
have the source, and I don't know anyone who is actually involved in
the server implementation for AIX, I can't be more specific.  I have
also brought up, or attempted to bring up, a number of other programs
from various sources for X11, including twm and awm, and there are a
lot of problems with both of them as well.  The full release of X11
from IBM for AIX is due out about now; I'm hoping it will be a lot
better.

jw