[comp.windows.x] brokenness in window display

jsol@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jon Solomon) (10/06/88)

We have several problems running X11R2 on Sun color workstations.

1) A grey title bar sometimes comes out wobbly (the lines drawn are not
straight, but as if the pen of the person drawing it was anxious...)

2) also in the title bar, drawing boxes sometimes come out

			-------------
			|	   |
			|	   |
			|	   |
			|	   |
			_____________ <- note that they don't line up.

This happens on Sun386, Sun3's all color. Apparently monochrome displays
don't have this problem.

Any ideas?
--jsol

dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) (10/07/88)

In article <25254@bu-cs.BU.EDU> jsol@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jon Solomon) writes:

   We have several problems running X11R2 on Sun color workstations.

   1) A grey title bar sometimes comes out wobbly (the lines drawn are not
   straight, but as if the pen of the person drawing it was anxious...)

   2) also in the title bar, drawing boxes sometimes come out

			   -------------
			   |	   |
			   |	   |
			   |	   |
			   |	   |
			   _____________ <- note that they don't line up.

   This happens on Sun386, Sun3's all color. Apparently monochrome displays
   don't have this problem.

   Any ideas?

Sounds like the Sun color server Pixmap problem.  There is a bug
somewhere in the cfb code and if you try to use a pixmap as a tile, it
offsets strange (if you use awm with the Mac-like lines hilighting the
title, you will sometimes see the lines go up in peaks).  I've given
the code a fairly brief once over and couldn't find the problem.  I
REALLY hope its fixed in R3 (since using tiling would be nice).

   --jsol
--
+*************************************************************************+
*  Dana Chee				(201) 829-4488			  *

steve@acorn.UUCP (Steve "daffy" Hunt) (10/15/88)

In article <DANA.88Oct6152246@dino.bellcore.com> dana@dino.bellcore.com (Dana A. Chee) writes:
>In article <25254@bu-cs.BU.EDU> jsol@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jon Solomon) writes:
>
>   We have several problems running X11R2 on Sun color workstations.
>   [ ... ]
>Sounds like the Sun color server Pixmap problem.  There is a bug
>somewhere in the cfb code and if you try to use a pixmap as a tile, it
>[ ... ]

I have locally modified versions of cfbfillsp.c and cfbgc.c that fix this
problem.  The tiling code is unsubtly wrong and although it's not
particularly difficult to fix, it requires a lot of mental bit-juggling
to get everything right.

The fix makes the non-blanking screen-saver work, too.

If you would like the patches, mail me.  I'll post them if demand warrants.

--
Dignity of the individual?  No; he doubted that he believed in it. Individuals
were pretty funny and always making mistakes.  Back home you got along much

++ Steve Hunt ++ Acorn Computers, Ltd ++ daffy@acorn.uucp ++ daffy@acorn.co.uk