[net.news] Why strange response to posted article?

silver (05/06/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Fri, 6-May-83 11:03:12 EDT

What  happened  here?  I've been  getting one of these for almost  every
article I post, for months now.  I figured  someone closer to the source
would notice and take action, but apparently not.  I can't even decipher
who I might mail to about the  problem!  Here's  what I got in the mail,
less the uninteresting stuff:

	From ucbvax!COMSAT@MIT-MC Thu May  5 05:27:50 1983 remote from hplabs
	From: Communications Satellite <ucbvax!COMSAT@MIT-MC>
	To: hplabs!hao!csu-cs!silver@BERKELEY
	Via: uucp host ucbvax;  5 May 1983 01:28:02-??? (Thu)
	Subject: Msg of Thursday, 5 May 1983 00:34 EDT

	FAILED: miyata at MIT-AI; Host appears to be permanently down or not accepting mail.
	 Failed message follows:
	-------
	To: physics @ Sri-Unix
	From: hplabs!hao!csu-cs!silver @ Ucb-Vax

and so on...  I  personally  don't care so much  what's  going on, but I
wouldn't mind seeing somebody fix it!

Alan Silverstein, Hewlett-Packard Fort Collins Systems Division, Colorado
ucbvax!hplabs!hpfcld!ajs, 303-226-3800 x3053, N 40 31'31" W 105 00'43"

furuta (05/13/83)

Forgive me if an answer already circulated to this problem--we are just
beginning to get news in again after multiple outages almost totally
cut us off from the net.

The question was about a COMSAT@MIT-MC error message concerning an
article probably posted to net.physics.  This is a fairly unimportant
error warning.  What's happened is that your message has been gatewayed
onto an Arpanet mailing list (physics@Sri-Unix).  One of the recipients
of this list (probably miyata@MIT-MC) has a forwarding which tries to
redirect his mail to MIT-AI (miyata@MIT-AI).  Since MIT-AI is
permanently dead, the message cannot be delivered and is returned to
the sender.  Messages of this sort usually mean that one or more names
on an Arpanet mailing list are invalid for one reason or another.  If
it's convenient, you can usually forward them to <name>-request@host
(in this case physics-request@sri-unix) and there is some chance that
there will actually be someone there to receive the message and that
the person will act to remove the problem.