[net.news.group] Is this group necessary?

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (07/22/85)

It has been brought to my attention that net.nlang.africa doesn't
seem to be supporting any separate discussions -- they are all cross
posted with (from) other newsgroups.  For instance, the last 2 weeks
of postings contained the following newsgroup lines:

  13 Newsgroups: net.nlang,net.nlang.africa
   1 Newsgroups: net.nlang.africa,net.music
   1 Newsgroups: net.nlang.africa,net.nlang.india,net.religion
   1 Newsgroups: net.nlang.africa,net.social,net.politics,net.religion
  10 Newsgroups: net.nlang.india,net.nlang.africa
   5 Newsgroups: net.nlang.india,net.nlang.africa,net.followup

Is there really a need to keep net.nlang.africa when everyone is using
other groups anyway?
--
Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

gdvsmit@watrose.UUCP (Riel Smit) (07/22/85)

In article <610@gatech.CSNET> spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) writes:
>It has been brought to my attention that net.nlang.africa doesn't
>seem to be supporting any separate discussions -- they are all cross
>posted with (from) other newsgroups.  For instance, ...
>  [some examples]
>Is there really a need to keep net.nlang.africa when everyone is using
>other groups anyway?

In most of the examples you mentioned, net.nlang.africa is the only
newsgroup that I subscribe to.  I am not usualy interested in discussions
in net.nlang.india or net.music for example, but I am interested when
the discussion has some bearing on Africa.  At the very least
net.nlang.africa provides some "extracting mechanism".
--
Riel Smit                                              +1 519 888 4004
UUCP:   ...!{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,clyde,utzoo}!watmath!watrose!gdvsmit

aaa@link.UUCP (Wale Akinpelu) (07/26/85)

> It has been brought to my attention that net.nlang.africa doesn't
> seem to be supporting any separate discussions -- they are all cross
> posted with (from) other newsgroups.  For instance, the last 2 weeks
> of postings contained the following newsgroup lines:
>
>   13 Newsgroups: net.nlang,net.nlang.africa
>    1 Newsgroups: net.nlang.africa,net.music
>    1 Newsgroups: net.nlang.africa,net.nlang.india,net.religion
>    1 Newsgroups: net.nlang.africa,net.social,net.politics,net.religion
>   10 Newsgroups: net.nlang.india,net.nlang.africa
>    5 Newsgroups: net.nlang.india,net.nlang.africa,net.followup
>
> Is there really a need to keep net.nlang.africa when everyone is using
> other groups anyway?
> --
> Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford
> The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
> CSNet:	Spaf @ GATech		ARPA:	Spaf%GATech.CSNet @ CSNet-Relay.ARPA
> uucp:	...!{akgua,allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,seismo,ulysses}!gatech!spaf

Gene,

I disagree with you completely. You should remember that one of the reasons for
creating this group was to pass any new information to interested parties. It
does not surprise me that people post the information in other
newsgroup.

While most of the issues that are been discussed could be classified into
other groups, it should be noted that they are unique because they focus
on issues only realted to african people. Certainly, you do not want people
to subcribe to all news group to scan for discussion on african issues.

I strongly urge to keep this group alive. For example, I have enjoyed
the discussion on african medicine which deals with natural method
of healing. I hope those who subcribe to net.med enjoyed the discussion
as well.

--
Wale Akinpelu
AT&T Bell Laboratories

aaa@link.UUCP (Wale Akinpelu) (07/26/85)

Folks -

Gene's request need immediate response. All Yea net.nlang.african
subcribers, express you opinion now before it is to late. I
would prefer not to subcribe to all news groups to scan for
african discussion.
--
Wale Akinpelu
AT&T Bell Laboratories
{allegra,attunix,bentley,ihnp4!research,ulysses}hou2a!link!aaa

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (07/26/85)

This is a yea for the net.nlang.africa group. I enjoy it greatly, and don't
subscribe to the newsgroups that the articles are usually cross-posted to.
So, please keep it alive!

Marcel Simon

bernerus@chalmers.UUCP (Christer Bernerus) (08/01/85)

I sometimes find the articles in net.nlang.africa interesting, but the name
doesn't seem too well chosen regarding the content of the articles since
only a few of the articles has anything to do with the "nlang" part.
Maybe the group should be renamed to net.africa (with possible subgroups)?

Chris.

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (08/01/85)

In article <338@link.UUCP> aaa@link.UUCP (Wale Akinpelu) writes:

>Folks -
>
>Gene's request need immediate response.

	I think the argument for net.nlang.africa is valid.
It provides subscribers with a way to get at articles about Africa
whether or not these are also about something else.  If you aren't
interested in Africa, you have the option of unsubscribing to
this group.

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ..!(cornell | ariel | ukc | houxz)!vax135!petsd!cjh