[comp.windows.x] Scoop on Display Postscript

"Michael_Powers.Henr801M"@XEROX.COM (10/21/88)

I'm curious as to the state of Display Postscript in X11 (especially
Adobe's work in the area). Does it exist? Can one purchase it today? If
not, when? Is anyone from Adobe on this list?

I read an article in some computer magazine the other day that was focusing
on the NeXT machine. They made some comment about how sad it was that the
NeXT machine was using Display Postscript instead of X. Now, correct me if
I am wrong but I am assuming that the magazine had things backwards and
perhaps it meant that NeXT was not using vanilla X?? Or maybe the articles
author or I am just plain confused?

Mike

powers.henr801m@xerox.com

rich@RICE.EDU (Richard Murphey) (10/21/88)

 "Michael_Powers.Henr801M"@xerox.com writes:
>I read an article in some computer magazine the other day that was focusing
>on the NeXT machine. They made some comment about how sad it was that the
>NeXT machine was using Display Postscript instead of X. Now, correct me if
>I am wrong but I am assuming that the magazine had things backwards and
>perhaps it meant that NeXT was not using vanilla X?? Or maybe the articles
>author or I am just plain confused?

The NeXT machine is reported to use its own proprietary graphical windowing
interface. A display postscript interpreter (developed with Adobe) embedded in
the window server executes postcript commands and writes on video RAM. More
information on this should appear in the November 1988 issue of BYTE.

To answer your question about availability, version 1.0 of the NeXT system is
reported to be slated for release in the second quarter of 89.  it would be
fair to guess that Adobe might eventually develop display postcript on other
platforms. Anyone from Adobe listening and care to comment?

Richard Murphey, Electrical & Computer Engineering Department
Rice University P.O.Box1892 Houston,TX 77251 713-527-8101 X3649
Internet:rich@rice.edu Bitnet:crm%rice Uucp:uunet!rice.edu!rich

Disclaimer: NeXT, Display Postscript, and Adobe are registered trademarks.
I have no connection to NeXT or Adobe, and can't guarantee any of these
statements.

greg@gergle.UUCP (10/21/88)

>I read an article in some computer magazine the other day that was focusing
>on the NeXT machine. They made some comment about how sad it was that the
>NeXT machine was using Display Postscript instead of X. Now, correct me if
>I am wrong but I am assuming that the magazine had things backwards and
>perhaps it meant that NeXT was not using vanilla X?? Or maybe the articles
>author or I am just plain confused?

NeXT is using a different variation of Display PostScript. The DPS for X11 will
be graphics display only. You will still use X11 to create windows and to get
user input.  (A pretty wart on a Toad)  NeXT took Display PostScript and
added extensions to make a windowing system.  You have windows in your graphics
context, and PostScript event procedures which respond to input events.

At a quick glance, NeWS and the Display PostScript are very similiar, except
NeXT has created a powerfull toolkit in Objective C for the *first* release.

NeWS has been around a long time, and there is still not substantial
interface library for porting C programs. For example to get input events,
complete with control & shift masks, you have to get down and dirty in
PostScript code. (Write an event handler cycle through the KeyState array,
print out binary tokens, write a cps macro to read the results in C)

	-greg.