[comp.windows.x] XDefineCursor with cursor = NONE

sfw@xpiinc.UUCP (Steven F. Williams) (10/21/88)

	The Xlib Reference Manual (O'Reilly Assoctiates books) says
that setting cursor = NONE in a call to XDefineCursor will cause
no cursor to be displayed. The sample server causes the parent
window cursor to be displayed, as if XUdefineCursor was called.
The sample server Xlib implementation of XDefineCursor uses a
ChangeWindowAttributes protocol request to set the cursor. The X
protocol spec (R2) says "Changing the cursor of a root window to None
restores the defalut cursor". The Xlib implementations seems to
contradict the Xlib Reference Manual and the Protocol spec just is
unclear.

					Steven Williams
					sfw@xpiinc.uu.net

swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph R. Swick) (10/22/88)

O'Reilly is wrong.  XUndefineCursor is equivalent to
XDefineCursor(cursor=None), both of which actually use the
ChangeWindowAttributes request.  Setting the
cursor of a root window to None is a special case, since the root window
doesn't have a parent.

aat@masscomp.UUCP (Andy Takats) (10/24/88)

In article <8810211915.AA17030@LYRE.MIT.EDU> swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph R. Swick) writes:
>O'Reilly is wrong.  XUndefineCursor is equivalent to
>XDefineCursor(cursor=None), both of which actually use the
>ChangeWindowAttributes request.  Setting the....

I'm not particularly fond of the O'Reilly manuals, but I don't think it's
fair to say something like this when the MIT C Library Reference manual
states (R2) for the XDefineCursor call:

	"....You can pass None if no cursor is to be displayed."

That sounds like more than just O'Reilly is wrong.

Andy Takats
..!{uunet,harvard}!masscomp!aat