[net.news] UNIX <--> VMS link software wanted

smk@linus.UUCP@mcnc.UUCP (05/25/83)

Here at MITRE, we're interested in linking UNIX and VMS VAXen
together.  Right now, the UNIX machines are connected via UUCP
(and 2 are USENET sites).  The VMS machines are left hanging
alone (not even connected via DECnet).  Is there any package
like UUCP that would connect UNIX and VMS machines.  We don't want to
invest in a Eunice at $6K or more or but expensive hardware to
do the job.  A terminal link like what UUCP has would be optimal.

	We would like the uucp file transfer capability (although
object code moved doesn't make too much sense so I guess the file
transfer isn't THE most important), a mail transfer (most important),
and a USENET connection (secondary, but more important than the ftp).
Any and all help will be appreciated.

	It would also get the people off our backs that want a UNIX to
VMS tape format converter (and vice-versa), but if someone has that,
we'll take it.

	We may consider a real cheap hardware interface, but would settle
for 9600 baud line connection.

Thanks in advance,
--steve		({allegra,decvax!genrad,uw-beaver}!linus!smk

eric@seismo.UUCP (05/27/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Thu, 26-May-83 19:38:02 EDT

At Hughes, they have just got a uucp working on VMS. In fact, engvax,
which just sent a new site report out, I believe, is actually VMS.
The person to contact is Lisa Penninger (...!ucbvax!cithep!citcsv!engvax!lisa
or lisa@cit-vax). I don't know whether they are willing to redistribute it
or not. Incidentally, at the very least, you need the DEC C compiler.

swatt@ittvax.UUCP (Alan S. Watt) (05/27/83)

Well, we have UNIX-VMS mail transfer going, but you might not like
how we did it:

  1)	Get the DEC 3270 Protocol Emulator package for VMS.
	This makes VMS look like a 3270 RJE workstation to
	IBM/VM, using a DUP-11 synchronous interface.

  2)	Get "UREP" from Penn State U.  This makes UNIX look
	like an RSCS peer node to IBM/VM, using a DUP-11
	synchronous interface.

  3)	Connect UNIX to VMS by splicing an IBM/VM system in
	the middle.  (You can't connect them directly because
	the 3270 PE ONLY emulates an RJE protocol [RSCS NPT
	line driver], and UREP ONLY emulates a peer-node
	protocol [RSCS VMB line driver]).

  4)	Write lots of shell and DCL scripts to convert mail
	formats.

We don't have file transfer, but most simple text sources can simply
be embedded in mail.

Isn't networking great?  [ -:) ]

	- Alan S. (it was almost perverted enough to be fun) Watt