[comp.windows.x] Visual's XWindows Display Station bugs

pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul Anderson) (10/29/88)

>In article <903@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>>In article <902@stiatl.UUCP> meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>>Well, we have one here [an XDS640], as a matter of fact. It mostly
>>works OK, but we are NOT amused when it does not.
>
>I got a phone call from the folks at Visual, and while they were
>perturbed to see the article on the net, they did not act at all
>perturbed at me, but only at the fact that we had somehow fallen
>through the cracks. They were VERY interested in helping, and
>seemed sincerely upset that this happened. I was impressed with
>their response, not to mention how quick it was! I spoke with
>someone who is tracking down why we fell through, and also with
>a Software Engineer who discussed the "problems".
>
>In summary, the people at Visual seem to be hot on the heels of the
>1/2% not ready (the other 1/2% was our misconception), and are
>worth checking out.
>
>On the 1 hand, I feel bad about the previous posting; on the other
>hand it certainly got things back on track...

This is not how we would normally pursue things here.  We had a
communications drop between people in our group, and one fellow
moved a little faster than I was ready to move.

We were under the assumption that due to
the date of delivery (October), we received Release software.
The shipment we received did not indicate the software was in beta
test or who we should contact with problems.  In the rush to ship
the terminal to us, Visual apparently did not get the beta notes
in the shipment.  I was in the process of chasing a few folks
on a low key basis at Visual to find out why their package had
some problems when the posting went out on the net.  We were
probably within a day of getting to the right person at Visual.
The original posting (quoted above) should not have gone out as
quickly as it did.

Visual has been most helpful (as any vendor in beta would be) in
getting us squared away.  We now have 4 points of contact with
them and each of the folks there knows the product well.  The only
'bugs' in the software have been on the host computer, none in the
terminal display unit itself.  Those host bugs have been corrected.
We are quite happy to be participating in the beta test with Visual
and have offered to compile/test their host software on our
Sun386i workstations to assist in furthering the beta.

I am pleased with the terminal and am planning on purchasing at
least one, if not several, more of their terminals.

Paul Anderson
Manager, Software Engineering
--
Paul Anderson		gatech!stiatl!pda		(404) 841-4000
	    X isn't just an adventure, X is a way of life...