[comp.windows.x] O'Reilly & Inter-Client Communication Conventions Manual

dshr@SUN.COM (David Rosenthal) (10/27/88)

Volume 1 of the O'Reilly books contains a re-formatted version of
the draft Inter-Client Communications Conventions Manual distributed
with R2.  A footnote says something like

	"The conventions are being revised by the X Consortium.  They
	promise that programs written to these [the R2] conventions
	will be compatible."

O'Reilly failed to heed my warning against publishing the R2 draft
conventions prematurely in this way.  There is no such promise of
compatibility,  and they were informed of this before publication.

In fact,  although every effort is being made to avoid incompatibilities,
I can say categorically that programs written to the R2 draft conventions
will NOT be entirely compatible with the final conventions.  It would be
futile to insist on compatibility - in the process of reviewing a number
of cases have been discovered in which the R2 draft conventions do not work.

I would respectfully request O'Reilly to include an errata slip
correcting their spurious claim on behalf of the X Consortium.
I would also suggest that,  despite the copyright notices,  it is
a matter of common courtesy when re-publishing  material in this
way to consult the author beforehand.

	David.

adrian@ora.UUCP (Adrian Nye ) (10/29/88)

In article <8810270352.AA01579@devnull.sun.com>, dshr@SUN.COM (David Rosenthal) writes:
> O'Reilly failed to heed my warning against publishing the R2 draft
> conventions prematurely in this way.  There is no such promise of
> compatibility,  and they were informed of this before publication.

The following is what really happened.  I asked Dave (via email)
in July whether I could print the most recent version of the
conventions.  He said no, and that if I had to print anything, I
should print the R2 draft.  We contacted Bob Scheifler to ask him
whether he thought it was better to print the R2 conventions or nothing.
He said that the R2 conventions would be better than
nothing, because otherwise, people would invent their own
conventions that would be even more different from the final
ones.  We went to press soon after that, around August 1.

As to the statement that the final conventions would be
compatible with R2, that was what the best sources thought
at the time.  We were definitely not informed
otherwise.  Anyway, the chapter where interclient
communication is described clearly says that the conventions
described in the appendix are only tentative and code should
not be written to them.
I had originally merged your conventions into that chapter but
took them out again when you said they were not final.
That's why they were an appendix.

> I would respectfully request O'Reilly to include an errata slip
> correcting their spurious claim on behalf of the X Consortium.
>
> 	David.

We will report the fact that the final conventions
will not be completely compatible with the R2 conventions.

> I would also suggest that,  despite the copyright notices,  it is
> a matter of common courtesy when re-publishing  material in this
> way to consult the author beforehand.

As I explained above, you suggested we print the R2 draft or
nothing.  If you did not mean that, I'm sorry we used your
material against your wishes.

By the way, I wish you could
just contact us directly about these things,
so that we could resolve them more amicably.
--
Adrian Nye (617) 527-4210
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks