[net.news] Incomplete Articles

caf@cdi.UUCP (05/28/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site mhuxt.UUCP
Date:Fri, 27-May-83 17:45:41 EDT

A number of incomplete articles have arrived here recently.  Their common
malaise is apparent loss of the beginning.  Any ideas why these articles
are munged?  Two examples follow:
-From: cjh@csin.UUCP
-Newsgroups: net.sf-lovers
-Subject: assorted Heinlein msgs
-Date: Tue, 24-May-83 10:06:16 PDT
-
-also believes that they're much happier suppressing that intelligence
-when it's not used to manipulate a man (to take your example, Ellie ends
-happily by getting married; consider also "The Menace from Earth", PODKAYNE OF
-MARS, THE STAR BEAST, etc. ad nauseam). It's certainly reasonable to say of
-Heinlein that he tends to look at all people simplistically; it's just that his
-simplistic assumptions about women are even more skewed (compared with the
-experience of many of us) than his assumptions about men. Heinlein has always
-been opposed to some of the classical prejudices (consider remarks about race
-in FARNHAM'S FREEHOLD), but he substitutes many of his own.
-   I'm also curious about your analogy to the blind men and the elephant.
-Obviously peoples' artistic tastes will differ, but I'd guess that most of
-the people commenting on THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST had read the whole book,
-and most have also read a good part of Heinlein's work, giving them a fair
-basis for comparison. I haven't checked off a list, but I think I've read
-every novel and 95% of his short work; one of the things that can be said
-objectively is that he tends to set up people as "right" or "wrong" and then
-to treat their actions accordingly (not so much as Dickson, perhaps, but
-still quite visibly).
-   My favorite reaction to TNotB was from a friend who read it recently; she
-complained that they spent most of the first third of the book programming the
-computer. (I skimmed many of those sections.) TNotB reads like a personal
-wish-fulfillment fantasy, which is one of the things making it dull for anyone
-else.
-From: cjh@csin.UUCP
-Newsgroups: net.sf-lovers
-Subject: info on C. J. Cherryh
-Date: Tue, 24-May-83 08:20:48 PDT
-
-aine) fits into a common universe in which DOWNBELOW STATION
-is one of the earliest stories---she's worked out a lot of the astrography
-involved with the aid of a 3-D lucite star chart. With luck this will be
-published somewhere.
--

	Chuck Forsberg, Chief Engr, Computer Development Inc.
	6700 S. W. 105th, Beaverton OR 97005   (503) 646-1599

furuta@uw-beaver.UUCP (05/28/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site mhuxt.UUCP
Posting-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site uw-beaver
Date:Sat, 28-May-83 14:30:42 EDT
Organization:U of Washington Computer Science

When we asked Mark Horton about this problem, we were told that the
cause of the incomplete articles truncated at their beginning was an
interaction bug of 2.10 with older news systems which had been fixed in
the version which had been released.  When we were having this problem,
we were running 2.10 gamma.  Since moving to the distributed version,
I've noticed some articles truncated at their beginnings but none that
seem to be due to the link between ourselves and our neighbors.

			--Rick