[comp.windows.x] getX11 and Utah Raster Toolkit

dshr@SUN.COM (David Rosenthal) (11/01/88)

> This comment leads nicely into one of my current peeves with X11.  I
> cannot find any way to get a "default colormap" for any visual other
> than the default visual.  Thus, if you are drawing to another visual,
> and you want any control over the colors, you MUST create your own
> colormap.  This means that independent programs drawing to a visual
> cannot share any colormap entries.  Is this really true?  Is there any
> way to fix this?

This problem is being dealt with in the review of the Inter-Client
Communication Conventions manual.

	David.

spencer@spline.eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (11/01/88)

In article <26075@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> sarrel@cube.UUCP () writes:
>Does anyone know what the most current version of getX11 is?  We have
>the one dated Fri, Aug 7, 1987.  It was written by Andrew Vesper at
>DEC.  It came with the latest version of the Utah Raster Toolkit.

Woops!  I'm glad this came up.  I discovered, due to this note, that
the latest version of getX11 (still not, by any means, perfect) did
not make it into the toolkit distribution.  I have sent the new copy
(dated Jan 1988, not really so new) to the current toolkit maintainer,
so that copies sent out from "now" on should have this newer version
in it.  You can also write to me (should I really do this?) at the
address below, and I will mail it to you.  The source is about 78K
bytes, so some mailers may choke on it.

If anyone has gotten some of the bugs out of it, I would greatly
appreciate receiving the fixes back so that we can incorporate it into
the next release (whenever that may be).

This is also a plea: if you have a copy of the toolkit, and have not
sent us (toolkit-request@cs.utah.edu) a note to be added to the
mailing list, please do.  This (updated getX11) is exactly the sort of
information that will be sent to the mailing list.
=Spencer (spencer@crim.eecs.umich.edu)

spencer@spline.eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) (11/01/88)

In article <26075@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> sarrel@cube.UUCP () writes:
(in reference to a particular X11 program)
>It messes with the color table
>(usually turning the rest of the screen red, sometimes permanently)
>when it really doesn't have to.

This comment leads nicely into one of my current peeves with X11.  I
cannot find any way to get a "default colormap" for any visual other
than the default visual.  Thus, if you are drawing to another visual,
and you want any control over the colors, you MUST create your own
colormap.  This means that independent programs drawing to a visual
cannot share any colormap entries.  Is this really true?  Is there any
way to fix this?

The program referred to above always creates its own colormap because
of this problem, even when the selected visual IS the default visual.
This is clearly less-than-optimal behavior, the program could be fixed
to only allocate a colormap when using a non-default visual.  However,
the anti-social behavior would remain in this case.

=Spencer (spencer@crim.eecs.umich.edu)