[comp.windows.x] Visual 640 term and colors?

janssen@titan.sw.mcc.com (Bill Janssen) (11/01/88)

I've got some colors defined in my .Xdefaults for xterm, namely

xterm*Background:		green
xterm*Foreground:		#006464

(yes, yes, very strange) and when I fire up xterm on a Sun X11R2
server running in monochrome mode, I get black text on a white
background.  However, when I fire up on the Visual 640 terminal,
I get white on white.  Which do you think is the correct behavior?

(The 640 works just fine with "xterm -fg black -bg white".)

Bill

swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph R. Swick) (11/01/88)

> xterm*Background:		green
> xterm*Foreground:		#006464
>
> Which do you think is the correct behavior?

When converting RGB values to monochrome, the sample server(s) compute
an intensity value as (.39R + .5G + .11B) and assign black if this
value is less than 50%, white otherwise.  Since green is normally
defined as (0%, 100%, 0%), it becomes white and (0%, 39%, 39%) becomes
black.  Other algorithms may be substituted...

janssen@titan.sw.mcc.com (Bill Janssen) (11/02/88)

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.  Is any standardization on this
approach anticipated?

Bill

des@xpiinc.UU.NET (Daniel E. Stone) (11/03/88)

In article <1481@titan.> janssen@titan.sw.mcc.com (Bill Janssen) writes:
:I've got some colors defined in my .Xdefaults for xterm, namely
:
:xterm*Background:		green
:xterm*Foreground:		#006464
:
:(yes, yes, very strange) and when I fire up xterm on a Sun X11R2
:server running in monochrome mode, I get black text on a white
:background.  However, when I fire up on the Visual 640 terminal,
:I get white on white.

The November product release of the V640 software will match the
sample server, i.e. in this case you will get black on white.

                                Dan Stone
                                des@xpiinc.uu.net

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (11/03/88)

    <about color matching algorithms>

    Is any standardization on this approach anticipated?

X3H3.6 (the group working on trying to turn the X protocol into an ANSI
standard) has as one of its issues whether "closest match" algorithms
should be precisely specified.  If you have any specific comments along
these lines, I'll be glad to take them.