[comp.windows.x] X11/R3 on Sun 3/60s with SunOS 3.5 and Sunview

sundar@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Sundar Narasimhan) (11/02/88)

Date: Tue, 1 Nov 88 16:49:47 EST
From: ejs@goldhill.com (Eric Swenson)
To: sundar@wheaties.ai.mit.edu
Cc: info-sun@wheaties.ai.mit.edu, ejs@goldhill.com
Subject: X11/R3 on Sun 3/60s with SunOS 3.5 and Sunview

We just switched to using X11/R3 and have noticed some behavior different
from X11/R2 when xinit is run from within Sunview.  Under R2, when one
started up xinit from within Sunview, it seemed as though Sunview was
(correctly) inhibited and Sunview updates did not show through and mess
up the X windows display.  Under R3, it is as though Sunview continues to
run and Sunview windows appear to show through and obscure the X windows
presentation.  Is there some reason that you are aware of as to why this
is happening?  Do you know whether anyone has attempted to run X windows
"under" Sunview?

Secondly, we have a two-screen configuration which worked fine under R2,
but with R3, it appears the -dev argument is no longer accepted by the
server and we can't figure out how to get both screens working.  Do you
have any insight?

If there is a more appropriate address for me to send this message, please
let me know.  Thanks -- Eric

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (11/02/88)

Are you sure you set UseSunWindowsInServer to YES?  It isn't set
that way by default in R3.  I don't recall changing any code
related to this.  If you really have it set this way and it
doesn't work, let us know (again).

As to the -dev switch, it should work.  Can you be a little
more specific as to the exact setup hardware and /dev setup,
and what args you were passing to the server?

ejs@GOLDHILL.COM (Eric Swenson) (11/03/88)

As you might expect, I did not have UseSunWindowsInServer set to YES.
Once I set it to yes and remade the system, everything worked fine.
We have just switched over to using R3 and everthing seems as it should
so far.

What x-windows-related mailing lists are there for general subscription?
Where are general x-windows issues discussed?  To what mail address should
x-windows bugs be addressed (xbugs@expo.lcs.mit.edu)?

Thanks for your help. -- Eric

ejs@GOLDHILL.COM (Eric Swenson) (11/03/88)

   From: rws@expo.lcs.mit.edu (Bob Scheifler)
   Date: Wed, 02 Nov 88 07:11:16 EST

   As to the -dev switch, it should work.  Can you be a little
   more specific as to the exact setup hardware and /dev setup,
   and what args you were passing to the server?

Unfortunately, we had to cannibalize our two-screen system temporarily
so I can't pursue this further.  When we get it back together I'll
have the guy who uses it try it again and describe the problem. It
may be that because I had R3 configured to not know about Sunview,
that this was the cause -- but as I said, it will be a bit before I
can test this out again.

thanks for your response.  -- Eric Swenson

ejs@GOLDHILL.COM (Eric Swenson) (11/03/88)

   Date: 2 Nov 88 14:20:27 GMT
   From: kong!emory!stiatl!meo@gatech.edu  (Miles O'Neal)
   Sender: xpert-request@athena.mit.edu

   In article <8811012351.AA13588@special-k.ai.mit.edu> sundar@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Sundar Narasimhan) writes:
   >R2 when xinit is run from within Sunview.  Under R2, when one
   >started up xinit from within Sunview, it seemed as though Sunview was
   >(correctly) inhibited and Sunview updates did not show through and mess
   >up the X windows display.

   Which version of Sunview, and on what hardware? We have NEVER been able
   to run X11 and Sunview simultaneously. We have always had interference
   problems; the X11 gurus told us this was normal. Even the source (or was
   it the doc?) from the dist. tape said this was likely. Which is why we
   have been waiting not-so-patiently for the new, merged Sunview/X11 product
   from Sun. We have seen this on a 386i under 4.0 and a 3/160 under 3.something.

Actually, it was I (ejs@goldhill.com) who posed the initial query.  It
turns out that I had failed to set UseSunWindowsInServer in Sun.macros
before building the world.  Once I set this, everything worked fine
and the X Window System and Sunview worked fine together (i.e. Sunview
was inaccessible while X was running) but there was no interference.

-- Eric Swenson