[comp.windows.x] Titles and uwm

brooks@maddog.llnl.gov (11/03/88)

We just brought up X11R3, taking yet another stab at converting from
X10R4, and the major change I have noted is the handling of the
title for an xterm.  Does the X11R3 uwm handle titles?  By default
we did not get any titles for an open window, but the title in
an icon worked okay.  I managed to get titles to work with awm,
but awm appears to have enough problems that I want to stay with
uwm.  With awm, I did not get the nice centered title with the
horzontal bars that come and go as the cursor is moved in and out
of the window.  Is there an option to recover these with uwm
in X11R3?

					Eugene Brooks

					brooks@maddog.llnl.gov
					brooks@maddog.uucp

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (11/03/88)

In article <13617@lll-winken.llnl.gov> brooks@maddog.llnl.gov () writes:
>With awm, I did not get the nice centered title with the horzontal
>bars that come and go as the cursor is moved in and out of the
>window.

Here's how I did exactly that in my resources:

awm*path:		~/bitmaps /usr/local/bitmap/X11
awm*title.boldFont:	courb12
awm*title.boldPixmap:	titlehilite.bm
awm*title.font:		courr12

(cour* is a xbm-ified version of the Sunview courier font) Make sure
that titlehilite.bm is in your awm*path.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
Is a tattoo real, like a curb or a battleship?
 Or are we suffering in Safeway?

casey@admin.cognet.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) (11/05/88)

  I think you're using a hacked up version of xterm from Berkeley.
Berkeley added a couple of nice features to xterm like a title bar.  Note
that it's probably better to have a window manager do this because it
removes redundant efforts in every application, but I can't echo Jim's
endorsement of awm till I get a chance to use the latest version on the
R3 tape.  Earlier versions of awm totally screwed up border high lighting
of xterms when you set the border context width to non-zero and used
inverse video.  There were enough other bugs that I decided to retreat to
uwm (though I dearly miss the ability to key mouse actions off of
title|border contexts).

Casey

P.S.  I would have already tested the new version of awm out by now having
    gotten the R3 sources the day after they were released except for the
    fact that I'm trying to get them compiled on an Apollo running SR10.
    If anyone wants a recommendation NOT to buy an Apollo, I'm your man.