[comp.windows.x] creating new visuals for a display

sarrel@chinook.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) (11/06/88)

We have two HP 300 with 32 bit Rennaisance(sp?) displays.  If I set
X11R2 (we don't have R3 yet) to work in the image planes (/dev/crt), I
seem to be able to only get a visual that has 8 planes.  How do I set
up an additional visual (not to be the default) that uses 24 bits per
pixel?

thanks...
-=-
 Marc Sarrel                                    |     sarrel@cis.ohio-state.edu
 Department of Computer and Information Science | "If you wanna have fun, go to
 The Ohio State University                      |  Washington.  Spokane!"
 2036 Neil Ave., Columbus, OH USA 43210-1277    |     -- Cleric Apton

dgreen@squid.cs.ucla.edu (Dan R. Greening) (11/06/88)

In article <26738@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> sarrel@chinook.cis.ohio-state.edu (Marc Sarrel) writes:

>We have two HP 300 with 32 bit Rennaisance(sp?) displays.  If I set
>X11R2 (we don't have R3 yet) to work in the image planes (/dev/crt), I
>seem to be able to only get a visual that has 8 planes.

The HP server always returns a visual with 8 planes, no matter how
many planes you really have.  This breaks a version of magic we have that
uses different color maps depending on the number of planes available.

Guess we'll have to wait for HP to fix it...  It is NOT fixed in X11R3.

Dan Greening  Internet  dgreen@cs.ucla.edu
	      USPS      3436 Boelter Hall / UCLA / Los Angeles, CA 90024-1596
	      Voice	213-825-2266