[comp.windows.x] X11R3 on an RT...

jonnyg@ROVER.UMD.EDU (Jon Greenblatt) (11/08/88)

	Hi, has any non IBM'er had any luck getting X11R3 up on an RT
running 4.3. I've talked to IBM and I am not convinced that there is
much of a rush on this. I realy think IBM would rather see NeXT STEP
running on AIX than X running on 4.3.

					JonnyG.
				(jonnyg@rover.umd.edu)
				(jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu)

schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (11/08/88)

In article <8811072212.AA02110@rover.UMD.EDU>, jonnyg@ROVER (Jon Greenblatt) writes:
>	Hi, has any non IBM'er had any luck getting X11R3 up on an RT
>running 4.3. I've talked to IBM and I am not convinced that there is
>much of a rush on this. I realy think IBM would rather see NeXT STEP
>running on AIX than X running on 4.3.

We have X11R3 running on several different flavors of RT.  Most things
work, although some do not.

Notable failures include maze, xeyes, and xtrek. (xtrek has to run on
a sun b/c of an RT kernel problem, but the RT can't even maintain the
xtrek display properly.)

On the other hand, xterm and the other core clients seem to do ok.
emacs works fine.  There is occasional litter in windows, loose pixels
hanging around near the edges, but nothing too bad.  We are going
forward with R3 rather than staying with R2.

We didn't do anything special during installation; just typed make and
went to lunch.  We also called IBM before we compiled X and asked if
they had any advice.  The told us first that "we haven't announced
X11R3 as a product yet".  When we told them we already had the sources
they said it wouldn't run.  They seem to have overstated the
situation, some.
--
Scott Schwartz		<schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu>