[comp.windows.x] xtrek problem

DEG41560@UA1VM.BITNET (Rob Smith) (10/17/88)

Hi,
 I have a little xtrek problem, but, it's only a game, so don't knock
yourself out to answer me.
 I have two Vaxstation 2000's.  They are networked, but they run completly
separate versions of Ultrix and X10r4.  I just got xtrek.v4 from scam.berkley.
edu.  It compiles and runs fine.  I've played against a robot successfully.

 But my machines don't seem to know when there is a player on the other
machine.

 A couple of notes on my networking:

 1) the systems are essentially autonomous, but they share the file system
/usr/users.  xtrek is in /usr/users/games, so they are working with the same
version (is this the problem?) and writing to the same directories.

 2) the only other networked feature is yellow pages, through which the
systems share passwords, man files and such.

 I tried moving the game to a /usr/games on both machines before I sent this
and it didn't help.

 What is the answer?

                                             Thanks,

                                               Rob.

steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) (10/19/88)

In article <8810171520.AA28417@ATHENA.MIT.EDU> DEG41560@UA1VM.BITNET (Rob Smith) writes:
> I have a little xtrek problem, but, it's only a game, so don't knock
>yourself out to answer me.
> I have two Vaxstation 2000's.  They are networked, but they run completly
>separate versions of Ultrix and X10r4.  I just got xtrek.v4 from scam.berkley.
>edu.  It compiles and runs fine.  I've played against a robot successfully.
>
> But my machines don't seem to know when there is a player on the other
>machine.

	Um, unless I'm mistaken, xtrek uses shared memory to communicate
among the player processes.  Therefore, all of the players must run on the
same machine (at least, this is the way it is in xtrek for X11R2).  Try
running another player on the same machine and see how it works.

| Steve DeJarnett            | Smart Mailers -> steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU     |
| Computer Systems Lab       | Dumb Mailers  -> ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve |
| Cal Poly State Univ.       |------------------------------------------------|
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 | BITNET = Because Idiots Type NETwork           |

devin@topologix.topologix.com (Devin Hooker) (10/19/88)

In article <8810171520.AA28417@ATHENA.MIT.EDU> DEG41560@UA1VM.BITNET (Rob Smith) writes:
<
[...]

	If one machine is called foo and the other one bar:

	on foo:  type xhost +bar

	on bar:	 type xtrek -d foo:0.0 &
		      xtrek &

	This will make the two machines recognize one another.  I think that
the two xtreks need to be running on the same CPU to work correctly.

			-Devin
				Hope this helps...
--
Devin Hooker
Software Engineer

johnson@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Philip Johnson) (10/19/88)

> But my machines don't seem to know when there is a player on the other
> machine.

Everybody playing in the same game must start a process on the same machine--
i.e., the xtrek daemon runs on only one machine:  everyone forks a remote shell
on the xtrek "server."  e.g.,
	rsh <hostmachine> /users/usr/games/xtrek $DISPLAY &
The usual procedure is to use the fastest machine around as the xtrek server.

--Phil

dpb@viking.UUCP (10/20/88)

> Everybody playing in the same game must start a process on the same machine--
> i.e., the xtrek daemon runs on only one machine:  everyone forks a remote shell
> on the xtrek "server."  e.g.,
> 	rsh <hostmachine> /users/usr/games/xtrek $DISPLAY &
> The usual procedure is to use the fastest machine around as the xtrek server.

Even better, some guys at HP in Palo Alto had an xtrek jump starter
configured so you did:

   telnet <hostname> 1701

It would prompt you for you for a display name, and send an xtrek your way.

scotts@sham.uucp (Scott Silvey) (11/01/88)

Xtrek actually composed of 3 programs ... a full game can
  have 17 to 21 different processes all on the same machine.
  Run 'xtrek' on the faster machine.  This will start the
  daemon.  Then run 'xtrek machine2_name:0' to get an xtrek
  running with i/o going to and from the second machine
  (make sure you have xhosted the daemon machine from the
  second one).  This way all the processes can coordinate
  with the same block of shared memory.

Incidentally, v4.0 is VERY old.  There are several new versions
  running here at Cal 'XtrekII, The Next Generation', and 'xtrek v5.0'.
  They mainly sport various ship types along with new weapons,
  starbases, and scoring systems that keep track of your performance
  in various categories.  An attemp was made at having custom
  ship design, but this worked out poorly and actually detracted
  from the fun.  XtrekII also has a super-user ship in the form
  of the AT&T 'Death Star' logo.  Sort of an insider here where
  we are fans of BSD.

A major re-write will be made in the near future that will be
  independent of the windowing interface.  In fact, we will
  encourage players to write their own custom interfaces.  Hence,
  the game will no longer be called 'Xtrek'.  Here at Cal we have
  little problem with CPU power ... our main clinch is network
  traffic which makes the game quite frustrating.  We intend
  to restructure the game so that the client actually does some
  of the processing and the information that will have to travel
  back and forth will be minimized.

Scott Silvey
scotts@scam.berkeley.edu

pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (11/02/88)

In the referenced message, scotts@scam.UUCP (Scott Silvey) wrote:
>                 XtrekII also has a super-user ship in the form
>  of the AT&T 'Death Star' logo.

I see, this must be to make it even easier for Scott Silvey to arbitrarily
throw people out of "his" game.

My opinion is that the POSITIVELY ANCIENT version of xtrek included in R3
is far more playable than either of the untuned hacks in use at UCB.
---
Jef

             Jef Poskanzer   jef@rtsg.ee.lbl.gov   ...well!pokey
  "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good,
       you'll have to ram them down people's throats." -- Howard Aiken

jdi@sparky.UUCP (John Irwin) (11/08/88)

Your message:

    In the referenced message, scotts@scam.UUCP (Scott Silvey) wrote:
    >                 XtrekII also has a super-user ship in the form
    >  of the AT&T 'Death Star' logo.

    I see, this must be to make it even easier for Scott Silvey to arbitrarily
    throw people out of "his" game.

    My opinion is that the POSITIVELY ANCIENT version of xtrek included in R3
    is far more playable than either of the untuned hacks in use at UCB.
    ---
    Jef
--------

Well, except that the R3 xtrek has "ship types", which gives an enormous
advantage over someone who is using the default ship.

Something like:

xtrek*ship:	aaiiMDFE

is good, but for real fun try:

xtrek*killer:	aaiiMDFEppppTVVG

It isn't much problem to rack up 20 or more kills with one of these special
ships, so unless the other players have a clue it's not much of a challenge.

	-- John