[comp.windows.x] Visual 640 X Display Station.

mark@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Mark Davies) (11/02/88)

Hi,
   We have just received an XDS for evaluation and we have a problem with
it.  The terminal does not respond to the mouse at all--the mouse cursor
just sits resolutely in the middle of the screen and mouse clicks do not
register.  We have plugged the mouse into a line analyser and it seems to
be generating "plausible" output.

The local distributors are trying to help, but they don't really know
anything about X or these terminals.  They can't get a new mouse to us for
a day and I don't think that is going to fix the problem.  Just wondering
if anyone else has had this problem and that there isn't something simple
that we are missing (or is it just a hardware fault in the terminal).

Details (if relevant) are:
	ROM version 0.3 Sep26 1988; serial #unknown date
	mouse systems optical mouse.

One other thing--literature we had read on the XDS claimed it had a 14 inch
screen.  The one we have here has (according to my ruler) a 12 inch screen
(but still 1024x800).  What should it be?

Apart from the above it appears to be quite nice so far (to the extent you
can do things with X without a mouse).

cheers
mark
--
Domainised:  mark@comp.vuw.ac.nz	Bang form: ...!uunet!vuwcomp!mark

mjb@xpiinc.UU.NET (Michael J. Braca) (11/03/88)

In article <14344@comp.vuw.ac.nz> mark@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Mark Davies) writes:
->
->One other thing--literature we had read on the XDS claimed it had a 14 inch
->screen.  The one we have here has (according to my ruler) a 12 inch screen
->(but still 1024x800).  What should it be?

It is typical in the industry to cite the actual dimensions of the CRT
"bottle" itself rather than the viewing area.  In the case of the
Visual Technology 640 XDS(tm), we use a 14 inch, flat-screen,
anti-glare Clinton tube, the same one DEC uses in the VT330 graphics
terminal.  Ours may look smaller (and measure smaller, if you don't
open up the case) because we have a wider bezel, but the image area is
the same size.

					Mike Braca
					Visual Technology, Xpi Division
					...!uunet!xpiinc!mjb
					(401)331-8990

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (11/09/88)

In article <14344@comp.vuw.ac.nz> mark@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Mark Davies) writes:
>One other thing--literature we had read on the XDS claimed it had a 14 inch
>screen.  The one we have here has (according to my ruler) a 12 inch screen
>(but still 1024x800).  What should it be?

Are you ready for this one?

You're measuring from the wrong place -- it's from bezel to bezel.

(I would have expected it to be the screen size too, but the glossies
say "bezel-to-bezel.")
--
Roger B.A. Klorese                               MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!rogerk	                  928 E. Arques Ave.